• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hi, I'm new. Anyone using the ASAT 3D suit

rovdjur

Hey everyone, I wanted to introduce myself, thank you for all the great information and ask few questions. Been lurking and using these forums (and podcast) for a lot of research and am going to use a saddle this fall in SE Ohio.

Is anyone using the ASAT 3D Vanish suit while using a saddle? I have seen several posts where folks rave about it in a stand or on the ground but can't find mention of anyone explicitly using it in a saddle. I am concerned about the jacket or pants covering attachment points, getting caught on carabineers, snagging on stepps as I climb, etc.

TLDR version:

I live in Columbus, Ohio, and can hunt a family farm in the SE Ohio foothills, consisting of about 70 acres of cattle pasture hillside, with some timber edges, as well as a very dense wooded 18 acres of thicket + timbered hillside that the family also owns, about a mile from the farm. I have permission on a few other neighboring properties as well.

I am starting pretty much from ground zero, never hunted heavily before. I went down during rifle season a few years ago, have a good idea of where does bed on the farm, and know the game trails on the upper 18 acres but I have not hunted extensively. I very much want to learn. I have the free time now to put in decent hours during archery season, and can hunt into and past rifle season.

I have only a crossbow, a slug gun, wild edge steppladder system, and an Aero Hunter coming in this week. Gearing up the rest now.

I am kind of overwhelmed on what type of camo and clothing to purchase.

The ASAT Vanish 3D suit seems like the most flexible arrangement but I am concerned about the jacket or pants covering attachment points, getting caught on carabineers, snagging on steps as I climb, etc.

I do like the idea of being able to use it on the ground and for turkey hunting.

From a spend perspective, I still have to buy a lot of clothing, baselayers, cold weather gear, etc. I've lost a lot of weight the past few years and all my cold weather stuff is too large.

So I am trying to decide between just buying decent hunting specific clothing or mixing in standard outdoor/farm wear underneath the leafy suit.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Rov

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

All I use for everything but turkey. It works anywhere. Fields,swamps, hardwoods in a stand,saddle or on the ground. I use solid colors underneath to change the tone of the mesh to suit what environment in in. Tans in the fields, light greens in the early season, grays if I’m in a light bark tree or browns in the dark swamp. Stuff just flat works. PERIOD!!

Welcome to the site!

If you are overwhelmed on what camo to purchase you don't have to put a lot into it initially. I use realtree AP 95% of the time and it does the job.

Under for bottom over for top is how I’ll wear it. Just got my saddle and just using it as a reference of where it’ll work. I’ve not found a situation where it won’t work. They’re sized big to fit over your regular clothes.

Yes, I use my ASAT 3-D suit in the saddle. Not all the time, but quite a bit. I think it’s a great choice because it works just about anywhere and you can wear it over anything.

I like to put my money into good base layers(merino wool) and layering. I have a few of those LL Bean pack away coats (super light weight and warm) that i keep in my bag as well. As far as your outer layer, I wouldn't get too caught up on the fancy pricey camos. Its more of a game of movement and being high enough to not get spotted. In open hardwoods I like to get up a good 20 feet to get above the deer peripheral vision. If you move at the wrong time wearing any color it really won't matter they will figure you out. Here in NY the deer tend to look up a lot and can spot you very easily if you don't have a good back drop.

It’s hot here in Texas in the early season (mid 90’s easy on opening weekend) so I wear mine with shorts and a thin T-shirt. I love the stuff. I try not to wear it on my hike in, so it doesn’t get snagged and ruined in all our thorns, but it is my absolute go to hot weather camo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep - that and the AllPredatorcalls.com lightweight kill suits. Both do a good job of breaking up the outline and you can change tone by what you wear directly under it.

Welcome Rov,
Yes the 3d suit works great for me. I use the A.S.A.T version as well as the Nat Gear one. I just place my Anderson sling, or my Kestrel right over them. I have never had any issues with them getting hung up. Early season or late season they are great for dressing accordingly underneath. Good choice.

20180426_050012.jpg For those of you who really like the ASAT suit I really encourage you to look at the green and the Brown kill suits by all predator calls. com. Far more cheap and I believe far more effective at breaking up the human outline. I use both and hands down when hunting on the ground the kill suit does a much better job. I love my ASAT 3-D suit and it works fine, but for a lot less money and I believe even more effectiveness at breaking up a human outline the kill suit is hard to beat. You do need to trim a little bit on the left arm a little bit on the chest but that takes longer 5 minutes. It also connects down like the ASAT sit and can be worn over any clothing.

Last edited:
Back