• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hickory Creek Red Dot Users - Recommendations

BlackpowderGuy (AJHS)

SH Member
Hi all - I do not own a red dot and don't want to spend 300 bucks to see if I like them. I want to mount one on my mini. Any recommendations for a good entry level red dot, say 150 or under that I can buy to see if that's the way I want to go?

IMG_9732.png

I have this one.

I haven’t missed a deer since I bought it.

I like it specifically because the dot gets very dull, and is a 2moa size, which appears to be the smallest I’ve found.

It held zero for an entire season. then sat five months, needed to be clicked a few clicks on windage. Has held zero since.

I shoot the bow a couple times before I head to the woods.

If you don’t like it it’s free returns on Amazon.

I also had the fastfire2. It was too bright for me. But I did like the tiny size and open field of view.

I’m fairly certain @Nutterbuster has killed a couple dozen with a FF3

@Nutterbuster has killed a couple dozen with a FF3
I've killed a couple dozen with the mini. Over half have been with the ff3, I think.

I like the ff3 enough that I literally bought one tonight to replace the one I took off the mini to slap on a shotgun. Not sure what I was thinking, but tonight's 13mph NNW wind straightened me right the heck out.

Screenshot_20231030_204148_Messages.jpg

Punchin' eyes at 25 yards. Ready to harvest processed acorns tomorrow morning.

Hi all - I do not own a red dot and don't want to spend 300 bucks to see if I like them. I want to mount one on my mini. Any recommendations for a good entry level red dot, say 150 or under that I can buy to see if that's the way I want to go?
If I was you, I'd buy a Burris Fastfire 2 with that budget. There's one on ebay right now for $100. The only real difference between the 2 and the 3 that I have is that you can replace the battery on the 3 without removing it from the weapon. I made it 2 whole seasons on my first battery.

IMG_6365.jpeg
I have this one. It’s kinda a copy of the Sig Romeo 5. So far it’s been great. It came with both the high and low mounts. Has the “shake awake” feature so it will conserve battery life when just sitting waiting on a shot. Has held zero perfect and tracked well adjusting during sight it. For $62 I think it’s great.

I have the FF3 and it’s very nice but never had it on my Mini. It’s on a firearm. Same thing for the Sig Romeo 5. It sits on a firearm.

Back