• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hog Bedding

HunterBob

I live in NW Georgia where the big population is growing. The areas I hunt are hills and valleys with pine trees on the tops of ridges and hardwoods closer to the streams and valleys. Most of the places I have found hog beds is higher up on the ridges, in thick cover. As I am learning how to better hunt them I have a few questions.

1. For those more experienced than me, do you ever find "primary" bedding for hogs in areas like this? I know hogs are more nomadic than deer, but wondering if they still have their favorite spots.

2. Is bedding more elevation based, or does it have more to do with where the best cover is?

3. How have you seen bedding change with the seasons?

Thanks in advance!

We have a lot of hogs here in southern MO. I've noticed that they change their bedding habits based on what time of year it is. You'll find them up on the ridges feeding on acorns in the fall. In the warmer months you'll find them in the bottoms and near water where it's cooler.

Our hogs have survived many years of pressure, so they're fairly smart. We can't get them within bow range over bait, they circle everytime. Spot and stalk is more effective for us down here, however its getting to the point to where we're going to need to build massive traps and take out entire sounders at a time.

There is a guy on utube catching hogs and fitting them with gps tracking collars...he gives it some time then goes and hunts it back down and kills it and shows the data of the hog....I can't remember the name or I give u the link.. seems hogs have a handful of primary areas that they hang out in for x amount of time then move to another and stay for a while..days-sometimrs weeks. They are in an area...not a bedding area. The areas they are hanging in are maybe 5-10 acres. So they move in to the 5-10 acres and stay for a week, maybe less maybe more, then move to another 5-10 area. Most of the hogs he was catching had 3-5 primary areas and they rotate between them

There is a guy on utube catching hogs and fitting them with gps tracking collars...he gives it some time then goes and hunts it back down and kills it and shows the data of the hog....I can't remember the name or I give u the link.. seems hogs have a handful of primary areas that they hang out in for x amount of time then move to another and stay for a while..days-sometimrs weeks. They are in an area...not a bedding area. The areas they are hanging in are maybe 5-10 acres. So they move in to the 5-10 acres and stay for a week, maybe less maybe more, then move to another 5-10 area. Most of the hogs he was catching had 3-5 primary areas and they rotate between them
Can't remember his name? You better pull your head out of the cloud Cheech, and get me some more info.

Awesome, that's exactly what I was wondering with the hogs around here. Great info, thanks!

Back