• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hoist rope or pack

Illinoisbowhuntress

I have always used a hoist rope to bring my bow up the tree but I now also have a backpack that I can strap my bow onto. So I was curious how everyone is getting their bow up the tree when saddle hunting, using a hoist rope or some other way? I have been considering using my backpack to get my bow up the tree but haven't fully decided yet.

This is my first year hunting out of a saddle but I’ve been wearing my backpack up the tree with me while setting sticks. Planning on figure 8-ing pull up rope off my saddle to pull my bow up. My backpack is made to hold a bow on the back but I clip my platform there and sticks on the side so it takes that option away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Huntress, central Illinois saddle hunter too. I still use a haul line for the bow, I carry my pack up on my back, because for me I found, once I am all tethered in, I can pull out my hangers, get situated, then pull bow up, remove quiver, nock arrow and hunt. Just what I found works for me.

Hello Huntress, central Illinois saddle hunter too. I still use a haul line for the bow, I carry my pack up on my back, because for me I found, once I am all tethered in, I can pull out my hangers, get situated, then pull bow up, remove quiver, nock arrow and hunt. Just what I found works for me.
Thank you Sempertodd.

I use a retractable dog leash attached to my saddle. Works fine unless you're going to hunt above 20'.
Good luck!
The deer just started moving good Monday here in Woodford county Illinois.

I use a 3/8" webbing to pull bow up. I tried the bow on the pack and though it works I keep thinking about what if a deer walks in once I'm up, almost zero chance of getting the pack and bow unsnapped etc without getting caught but I have pulled bows up in a hurry a few times and got away with it

I use a strap retriever, replaced the clip with a nite ize tie. Thread it through the backpack handle and top limb and twist. I take my hooks up the tree with me, attach them and pul up the bow/pack up.

I haul my bow up after I'm all set at height. I've gotten away from backpacks, but I keep my (fanny) pack on, as the stuff I need to climb is not inside it.

For me, climbing with sharp objects is scary. Even if they are stowed in the quiver securely. And I place my bow off to one side so if I fall or drop something my bow is not underneath me or it.

Back