• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hoisting weapon?

Coachschaller

How are you dealing with your weapon while you set up or climb?
Do you put a rope on it and lay it on the ground?
How about on the way back down?
I will be using both bow and rifle and am worried about laying rifle down on ground and bumping scope or getting dirt in barrel.

I normally use a backpack (without a way to connect weapon securely to pack)

My weapons have a sling, but I don't think they are secure enough for climbing...

Depends on your climbing method. If using sticks or 2TC, 550 cord pull up rope. If climbing SRT, I use the climbing rope. Once connected, I just lay it on the ground and put it up when ready. Do the reverse when lowering, just lower it slowly once touching the ground.

Finger cot will keep dirt from getting in the barrel of a rifle.

I use paracord to pull up my bow - as @Bigterp said, baby it and go slow. Also be sure whatever knot you use is secure but easy to remove.

I took the reel off of my fly fishing rod, it has that super strength green cordage stuff on it... tied a treble hook and line sinker on the end, with the barbs cut off, and keep it in my hip pouch.
When I get set up in the tree I drop down the hook, snag my bow or whatever, and up it comes. Lower down the same way.
I haven't tried this with a firearm.

I use a paracord pull up rope. I've never had an issue nor worried about hurting anything as long as you're careful. I just go slow and try and keep it as far away from branches and the tree as possible. You can get pretty good at laying down how you want once it touches the ground.

I use my pull down rope to hoist the gun. I climb SRT most of the time so the pull rope goes up with the canopy hitch so I have the line tight holding the gun or bow propped up on the backside of the tree. Tie a figure 8 at the height needed to keep the bow or gun off the ground or lightly touching the ground.

I haven’t hoisted a bow up in several years. I made a sling of paracord and have it on my back as I climb up and down. No extra movement, quiet, and doesn’t get banged around or dirt in the cams. I’m surprised how few people use this method.

I was shocked at how well the Doyle's hoist works. It's just enough recoil to keep the line in, but freely play out as you climb. I went with the rope version because I read some people said the webbing got snagged up easier. If it's a gun I will lean it barrel up, hook into the sling, and can usually land it in the same place. For bow I fish it through the riser and just try to baby it and not let it land and get dirt in the cams. A little gentle swinging motion and then let it down easy.

I’m about to upset some folks for not sharing this earlier.
Has anyone heard of or tired the bow spider? They offer multiple attachment methods to a pack. Anyways, I had some friends using them in CO for an elk hunt in Sep. I knew (for my set up, maybe not yours) it would be perfect for saddle hunting.
I run the Eberlestock X2 and the bow spider attaches perfectly to the middle of the top of the pack. So I just carry my bow up and down the tree on my back with my pack on. On the walk in, my sticks and platform are on the pack and then they transfer to saddle. Then only my bow is on the pack. Super quick and efficient.

Attachments

• 666B197B-2C6E-4E29-A0E6-195CA9ADD402.jpeg
    666B197B-2C6E-4E29-A0E6-195CA9ADD402.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 3E291106-EC0E-45D0-8CD7-ABE05FE4A1C6.jpeg
    3E291106-EC0E-45D0-8CD7-ABE05FE4A1C6.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 5D3E5EB5-F3D6-4919-87AF-A8138D616260.jpeg
    5D3E5EB5-F3D6-4919-87AF-A8138D616260.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 107
I carry my bow on my back....and hoist up my platform....that way I feel like I could take a shot at any time while 2tc.

The only one I have in the camera roll is it unattached. I have two plastic carabiners that hook into paracord loops that I tied on each end of riser. It’s wrapped around my quiver in this photo.
View attachment 55775

I have the JAKT paracord sling. IF I take up my backpack with me, I am not too sure how to sling it over my pack.... Otherwise I would likely sling it.

I’m about to upset some folks for not sharing this earlier.
Has anyone heard of or tired the bow spider? They offer multiple attachment methods to a pack. Anyways, I had some friends using them in CO for an elk hunt in Sep. I knew (for my set up, maybe not yours) it would be perfect for saddle hunting.
I run the Eberlestock X2 and the bow spider attaches perfectly to the middle of the top of the pack. So I just carry my bow up and down the tree on my back with my pack on. On the walk in, my sticks and platform are on the pack and then they transfer to saddle. Then only my bow is on the pack. Super quick and efficient.
You're such an organized somebody

How are you dealing with your weapon while you set up or climb?
Do you put a rope on it and lay it on the ground?
How about on the way back down?
I will be using both bow and rifle and am worried about laying rifle down on ground and bumping scope or getting dirt in barrel.

I normally use a backpack (without a way to connect weapon securely to pack)

My weapons have a sling, but I don't think they are secure enough for climbing...
Paracord. Figure 8 loop on each end. carabiner attached to me, other end has a second loop a few inches up. small carbiner pass through riser of bow, clip on second loop from first loop and pull up. With a rifle I tie something similar to a timber hitch, then a half hitch further down so its attached in two spots for stability and pull up (unloaded, and barrel down)

I have a plastic EWO biner that is clipped to my saddle, I just clip the top cam of my bow to that and I’m off to the races.
If I’m using my rifle I either strap it to my pack Horn Hunter G2) or if sans pack I just rear sling crossbody.

If I SRT I tie my backpack to my climbing rope and have about 40 ft of paracord tied to my saddle and my bow. If I 2TC I wear my backpack and use the paracord for my bow.

Back