• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Holster for Saddle Hunting?

Andre Bell

Looking at drop leg holsters for my 9mm and thinking it might work due to the saddle. Anyone use anything similar with saddle hunting or even carry?

I’m likely going to a QLS fork setup this year. One on my waist belt of .5 and the other on my small pack. In the past I appendix carry

I just carry mine on my bino harness. Out of the way never effects shots either. It’s a compact 9mm. I was looking at carrying a 22 but honestly I prefer my CCW

I just carry mine on my bino harness. Out of the way never effects shots either. It’s a compact 9mm. I was looking at carrying a 22 but honestly I prefer my CCW
I just picked up a Badlands bino case and may have to try that idea. I like having a weapon on me but don't like advertising it.

I just picked up a Badlands bino case and may have to try that idea. I like having a weapon on me but don't like advertising it.
I’ve never thought about it. I just put the pistol on the harness laying in the from seat and put it in before leaving the truck

Looking at drop leg holsters for my 9mm and thinking it might work due to the saddle. Anyone use anything similar with saddle hunting or even carry?

Chest holsters work great and stay out of the way of saddle and packs. They also distribute the weight really well and are fast into action. I like 2A holsters.

I’m new to handgunning so excuse any incorrect terminology. Does anyone carry their sidearm using a OWB paddle holster and wearing the saddle between the paddle and holster? Would that work? I’m thinking that would let you carry on your hip but not weigh down your saddle with another molle attachment.

I've saddle hunted with a 4" barrel .357 in a Kenai Chest Rig. Loved it. If handguns were as permissible on public land as archery tackle, I'd sell every deer killer I own and exclusively handgun hunt with a chest rig.

I’m new to handgunning so excuse any incorrect terminology. Does anyone carry their sidearm using a OWB paddle holster and wearing the saddle between the paddle and holster? Would that work? I’m thinking that would let you carry on your hip but not weigh down your saddle with another molle attachment.
I wouldn't recommend this. Too much bulk between the holster body and the paddle will not only be uncomfortable, but probably break the paddle or holster or both. I alternate between J-frame wheelie-gats in my pocket, and a G23+TLR7 in a MOLLE M4 mag pouch on a belt, but will likely move that whole setup to my bino pack.

I don't think this would work well or have very good retention. These are meant to be close to the body with the paddle sandwiched against your body and over a think section of pants/belt.

They make holsters that attach to molle webbing and also holsters with velcro attachment to the belt that you could probably route through the saddle.

If you have a backpack, then you can think of ways to attach the holster to the pack. I've get a chest holster or shoulder holster.

I don't think this would work well or have very good retention. These are meant to be close to the body with the paddle sandwiched against your body and over a think section of pants/belt.

They make holsters that attach to molle webbing and also holsters with velcro attachment to the belt that you could probably route through the saddle.

If you have a backpack, then you can think of ways to attach the holster to the pack. I've get a chest holster or shoulder holster.
That makes sense. I guess I could use a molle attachment holster at place it at 1-2 o’clock. Currently I have a water bottle pouch there for storing my tether/rappel rope but I think I could easily do without it during archery season. Would just have to coil and hang up the excess rope when on stand.

edit: or yeah, run a backpack hip belt through the holster so it’s only worn on the backpack.

I will also put mine in my pack belt but the chest rig is the absolute best especially saddle hunting. I use Alaska guide creations

I will also put mine in my pack belt but the chest rig is the absolute best especially saddle hunting. I use Alaska guide creations

yep

climb with mine on and hang on a hook next to my pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've experimented with drop leg holsters and there was too much pinch from where the holster clips to my belt, which gets under the saddle.

Early season I appendix carry to the tree and once I'm at height I move it to my pack. Reverse for walking out.
Late season I use a holster on my backpack strap, essentially a chest rig but it stays on my pack while I hunt.
I use different packs for early season and late season

I've experimented with drop leg holsters and there was too much pinch from where the holster clips to my belt, which gets under the saddle.

Early season I appendix carry to the tree and once I'm at height I move it to my pack. Reverse for walking out.
Late season I use a holster on my backpack strap, essentially a chest rig but it stays on my pack while I hunt.
I use different packs for early season and late season
When you experimented with the drop leg holsters, what saddle did you use? Curious.

Back