• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Holy safety harnesses.

Flee

I’m getting rid of a bunch of old hunting crap and I keep finding the old 2” safety harness. You know, the ones that need an origami certification to put on.
Also look at the orange suit made in America in Altoona, PA. And they were in bison for many years and made a profit. What a concept.

Attachments

• CCAE30F9-CE31-4151-9158-99DFCFC5A8D1.jpeg
    CCAE30F9-CE31-4151-9158-99DFCFC5A8D1.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 136
  • 48C1FDEA-7907-4F12-8F68-F221F236A220.jpeg
    48C1FDEA-7907-4F12-8F68-F221F236A220.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 136
  • CFDBF60F-63F5-4C78-BE3A-29FF7B0E12BB.jpeg
    CFDBF60F-63F5-4C78-BE3A-29FF7B0E12BB.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 130
That is what I used to make my first DIY saddle. It works. I have a suit like that also. My hunting buddy said that I glowed in the dark.

The safety harness you speak of I got very likely the same or very similar one when I bought my Summit Viper XL(?) climber. Been using FBH for decades in my profession but only started using a FBH hunting after a "significant emotional event" took place that had every potential to result at best permanent debilitating injury including paralysis to at worst death that I TAMG managed to emerge from with no serious harm.
I tried to put it on several times in full daylight my yard and it was a sight funnier than 9/10 of todays sitcoms, the image of monkey's and a foot ball leaps readily to mind then a dry run in the dark that same year once back in turkey camp after putting them to roost in pitch black dark with only a mini Maglite as illumination.
If I got fined $10 for every expiative I uttered over that time frame I would've had to sell a kidney to pay up.
That combined with my SEI convinced me to ditch my other less than great FBH and invest in a well made easy to put on and use FBH before bow season.
About 5, 6, maybe 7 years ago I gave a REI RCH with lineman's loops a try and have stayed with that and no longer use a FBH.
Also now for about the same time use a second very heavy duty REI RCH with steel lineman's D rings to wear to set all my stands with a Treehopper adjustable lineman's rope. use to use a Treehopper lineman's belt and rope.
I can not believe for the first 15 years at least of deer hunting from hang on treestands I never used a lineman's belt to hang a single stand let alone a FBH while hunting from a stand including ascending and descending. I was really gambling on barrowed good luck.

Last edited:
When I was younger and 10 foot tall and bullet proof like we all thought or think we are I NEVER even thought about falling. I started out taking a couple of planks or 2x4s with some screw in steps I made out of some long bolts with wood screw threading bent to make screw in steps. I would go up a tree to a crotch stick the board in somehow and hunt. LOL

Then came along the Baker climbing stand. Heavy as could be but strap your feet into the strap grab hold of the upper climber pull yourself up and hopefully seat the bottom that you dragged up the tree then do it again. I think I still have scars on my hands and arms from the bottom slipping down the tree where I hugged the tree.

Then hang on stands and better climbers came along. I used ALL OF THIS with no safety belt and never even considered it dangerous. Falling was something that someone else did.

As the old saying goes, "God looks out for drunks and fools."

Back