• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Homemade saddle

Davis21

I hear a lot of people talking about their sit drag/rch combo and or fleece. Seems like a great idea, but little Leary about sitting in homemade gear 20 feet up. Any thoughts on safety? Also would like some input on how y’all are adding linesman loops to RCH and how your doing the fleece saddle?

I hear a lot of people talking about their sit drag/rch combo and or fleece. Seems like a great idea, but little Leary about sitting in homemade gear 20 feet up. Any thoughts on safety? Also would like some input on how y’all are adding linesman loops to RCH and how your doing the fleece saddle?

That’s what the rated RCH is for!

Several methods of adding loops to an rch. Should be able to search ‘adding lineman’s to rch’ or something to that effect and getting lots of info.

I cut a 60" x 50" fleece blanket in half. Doubled the half over length wise, 50" x 15". Folded accordion style and folded ends over about 3"-4". Tied rope to ends with a double sheet bend knot. Placed a 14" x 9" foam pad between the 2 layers of fleece. Hand stitched several places on the open side to prevent foam from falling out. The foam makes it easier to transition body weight from RCH to saddle (fleece not bunched up). I am a newbie to saddle hunting, so the experts may have a few thoughts on this set-up.image.jpeg

You want the stretch of the fleece from front to back for maximum comfort. Side to side will pull it too tight front to back while weighted, but some on here have indicated in the past they like it that way. I tried a piece of foam last fall, but found that it was more comfortable without it for me. You do have to pull and spread out the fleece more before you sit or lean without the foam. You can try all the commercial options available, and even those coming soon, and I can guarantee you that none can come close to the fleece!

Since you mentioned sewing already, you should consider sewing a channel and making the ends like a mushroom vs the folder over method. There is another thread about doing that on the site, but can't search right now on my phone. It really cleans up those ends and cannot possibly pull out. I saw the folded ends move on mine over time and switched.

I use a fleece saddle I sewed up, with a RCH. I used dyneema slings wrapped around the waist belt like a prusik and then zip tied on so they can't loosen up.

PETZL - ST'ANNEAU, Dyneema Sling, 24 cm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IAHCME/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vBjxDbBNPCX81
da766bb2717ae88ab82775d98d9c62a2.jpg
ea82f25236f3d5cad94c30f24a8a3290.jpg
21c10eb3007696240ea06f62c6347edc.jpg
e9d825b6b34508c0a35ab06187edef87.jpg
bec647fa0b7f5d799e957adbac97ddf2.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Whats the safety concern on a manufactured rated rock climbing harness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no safety concerns if you are using it in conjunction with a RCH. If you need a lineman belt, you can run some tubular webbing through your harness gear loops and around your back with loops tied in the ends. Another option is to connect each side of the lineman to your RCH belt behind the leg loops.

Just replaced my rch fleece with flex for this season. I might still miss the fleece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s pretty easy to make one of these saddles assuming you have a sewing machine that will punch through a few layers of webbing.

I had tweak this one multiple times for a custom fit so the stitching on it looks a little rough, but its strong.

E1A5E09B-E199-42D8-911D-22B30F4BD21B.jpeg
If you pin the heck out of it and temp stitch until it feels perfect is best. I had to rip out multiple temp stitching a few times but worth it.

that green ballistic vest fabric stretches a little too, good stuff.

Look in this thread. I built a saddle this morning and posted many details. My stuff is on page 15.

Also here is a way to setup a nice light RCH. Follow this guy on YouTube. DIY Sportsman. He has lots of good info in many videos.

Back