• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hoosier Nat'l Forest

Pattywhacker

A group of us backed out of the Shawnee National Forest in OH last year as the reports of EHD sounded bad and would make a difficult trip even harder. I've done some google research about the Hoosier National Forest in Indiana and might do a solo bow hunt there this year. Anyone on this site have any feedback (good or bad) about this area?

A group of us backed out of the Shawnee National Forest in OH last year as the reports of EHD sounded bad and would make a difficult trip even harder. I've done some google research about the Hoosier National Forest in Indiana and might do a solo bow hunt there this year. Anyone on this site have any feedback (good or bad) about this area?
Southern Indiana has also been hit with EHD over the last couple of years, too. Certain counties worse than others, parts of the HNF are in those counties. 2019 was particularly bad. Not sure if there is a consensus on how long it takes for a region to recover from EHD, but if you are looking for mature bucks it may be a couple more years for those areas to recover? See links below.
EHD mapping tool

Thanks for the insight and those links. The deer density in VT could be comparable to what IN holds or maybe slightly better. Just looking to extend my range and available hunting days.

Southern Indiana has also been hit with EHD over the last couple of years, too. Certain counties worse than others, parts of the HNF are in those counties. 2019 was particularly bad. Not sure if there is a consensus on how long it takes for a region to recover from EHD, but if you are looking for mature bucks it may be a couple more years for those areas to recover? See links below.
EHD mapping tool
If the last bad round of EHD was 2019, I wouldnt not be concerned about it going into this season. EHD seems to have the most impact on older age classes so should be fine by now, at least not wiped out.

Back