• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How’s my checklist

Dkiss103

I’m about to dive into the world of saddle hunting. If y’all could go over my checklist and give advice/recommendation that would be great.

Saddle:
Leaning towards the Mantis

Climbing Method:
Thinking muddy pro sticks, or possibly Helium hawks or WE steps

Platform:
Really not sure on this. I think the ratchet strap with the 5-6 individual steps would be easier to maneuver around the tree for shots, but could see a platform like the predator being more comfortable to stand on. Any recommendations?

Misc.
A tree strap with Molle loops and S clips to hang items (pack,calls, rangefinder)
U slide mini for bow.
Tree pad for knees, unless knee pads would be a better option??

Anyone advice on my list, or recommendations on things I should look at? All help is appreciated!

Welcome! I am new here myself, but I have a couple things for you.

You'll need a lineman's belt and tree tether if the mantis does not come with one.

extra rope, extra carabiners

I dont like wearing knee pads in general, having something around my knee is annoying and I worry that it would reduce my pants' ability to insulate. I use a Mossy oak seat cushion that I got at Walmart for $5 that works great as a tree cushion. It has a built in adjustable strap and plastic clip.

A Ropeman 1 has been very helpful for my use

I own WE steps and have used Lone Wolf sticks in the past but not the 2 sticks mentioned. I am still learning with the WE, the learning curve may be more with these than with sticks. Sticks may be faster to get higher.

With little experience with sticks and none with Stepps, here is what determined my purchase for this season
I like that the Stepps can also be used as a platform
I like that I can put all of the Stepps into my backpack and not broadcast that I am hunting like with sticks on my pack
I had never climbed through brush with either on my back, but the Stepps are more compact and seemed like they would be easier
WE steps have far less breaking points than sticks do, being a single piece

Let us know what you end up deciding to go with. Hope you can get set up and practice a bit before going out this season. Good luck!

If going Mantis route get their ropes - they are really good quality. and ropeman 1’s - you’ll find quickly how much a difference they make. You will need a dump pouch unless you like to daisy chain rope. I used WE Stepps last year and they are a great platform but setting 3 can be a pain in the beginning. I bought a predator and love it. You can maneuver just fine on it. All these are personal choices you will just have to try them. Good news is if you don’t like something you can sell it on here pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddle: I would suggest you definitely have a plan B on the ready. The mantis could still be a long time off and it's always good to have a lot of practice time.

Climbing method: I am using modified helium sticks and 1 aider. They are completely concealed in my pack, super light and get me as high as I need.

Platform: I prefer a platform rather than steps. I made my own for about $40 that's just over 3 lbs.

It's all personal preference. I would assemble all you can and see which methods you prefer and start eliminating the learning curve.

Back