• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How’s my setup?

poorcharlie

Ok, so total newbie here. How’s this setup? I’m here to learn. I have a trophy line tether coming but had 2 hss tree straps already. Using one as primary and another as backup redundancy using lb as second bridge. Using backup tether as gear strap/bow holder.
8538ccfe023a43b5b58e35b2300bba43.jpg

You have to sort out how much safety redundancy your gonna roll with. But you would have a lot more range of motion (major benefit of saddle hunting) if you weren’t tethered into your linesman loops. I’d double tether instead of that if you’re really concerned with failure. But looking good, stay safe.

I’m all for safety and I’m all for redundancy, but I’ll be honest man, it looks like you got a lot goin on there. That means you have a lot of things you could hook up wrong at 5 am in 12 degree weather and a light rain when you didn’t have coffee that morning and lost one of your gloves on the way to the tree. Keep it simple.

The way I set up is to hook my tether, then take the tag end and tie a scaffold knot into either my waist belt, bridge or linesman loop. You can store your linesman and back up your bridge by running it from linesman loop to linesman loop and clipping it into your tether carabiner.

I trust the HSS strap for a tether, as long as it’s not damaged. It’s made of very strong rope.

While also being new, I feel your pain on redundancy. However, sometimes too much is dangerous. Think of if something fails how it will fail. For example, it looks like you have the tag end of your tether tied into your primary and possibly secondary bridge... why this is bad, if your prusik fails for any reason and slips, now your tag end is all wrapped inside bridge and you’re trying to relive pressure on a taught line to transfer that weight to the backup prusik which is on your secondary bridge to untie that tag end from your bridge. I feel safer using an autblock or French prusik from my lineman’s loop attached to my tether, if for any reason my safeguard fails, my autblock will grab(I may be sideways but I’ll take sideways than 25’ down). If I can’t unfu*k myself then I will lower myself from my autoblok. if you want a secondary bridge in use then go ahead and continue using prusik how you are. This way if something fails you’re not suspended by a roped up tied tag end, stuck in the tree, while your legs are numb from sliding forward in your saddle trying to grab the tree for safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so total newbie here. How’s this setup? I’m here to learn. I have a trophy line tether coming but had 2 hss tree straps already. Using one as primary and another as backup redundancy using lb as second bridge. Using backup tether as gear strap/bow holder.
8538ccfe023a43b5b58e35b2300bba43.jpg
You look good. If someday you are suddenly aware you need the backup it is better staying suspended than laying broken on the ground. If you can shoot, that is the test. If you quick detach your backband when you see deer you will have more space to take a shot.

I have been told I have too much going on many times as well. Here I am with a small backband.

Back