• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How do MI tree stand laws apply to saddles?

eighties

I'm not sure when or why this would ever come up for me, but maybe if for some reason I wanted to gun hunt turkey from a tree it would be an issue. I could also see it apply in other cases where you're not allowed to use a stand (e.g. small game with a rifle, migratory birds, or predators during the day). In any case, I was reading the Michigan hunting regs today about tree stands and raised platforms and thinking about how they would apply to saddles. The regs don't define tree stand, but do define raised platform as, "a horizontal surface, constructed or manufactured by a person, that increases the field of vision of a person using it beyond the field of vision that normally would be attained by that person standing on the ground." I think I understand what the intention is, but how do you think the MIDNR views saddles? Are they tree stands/raised platforms or not?

If they are stands, do we, technically, have to have our name and DL# affixed and visible from the ground when on public land? According to this statement, "if you hunt on public land, your tree stand must be portable and your name and address, Michigan driver License number, or DNR sportcard number must be affixed in legible English that can be easily read from the ground" even portable stands not left in the woods need to be labelled. If the saddle is a stand are we subject to this reg?

Anyone have thoughts? I realize that this is mostly a theoretical discussion, but it's the middle of winter and I'm bored enough to be reading the hunting regs. With the rising popularity of saddle hunting the DNR might want to clarify.

If you were using a platform like the Predator or a DIY platform - it would be advisable to put your identification on it when hunting public land. I don't know what to do if you're using a ROS except put a zip tie with a label attached to that. I bet they consider the saddle a harness, and your foot platform (or positioning aid) as a tree stand. Even if you use the top of your climbing stick - that would be your tree stand. You are most certainly in an elevated position when saddle hunting if your feet are off the ground. However, for turkey season I'll likely be in my saddle, but my feet will still be on the ground (or able to touch the ground).

I am not with the DNR or affiliated in any way. My words mean nothing.

I know this much to be fact, if you have a question...ask an actual DNR Officer in person. Otherwise, if you call or email you get the verbatim text from the hunting regulation which is usually "clear as mud".

I think it's like the ice shanty law. If you leave it out there and it falls in. They need to know who to contact. Much like a temp. Ice shanty on the lake dosent need it. I would think a saddle is a similar take. But it does say if it's portable to ID it.
But there is not enough room to make it visible from the ground.
My only other thought is clear up questions of if your stealing it. Or using it.

I'm not sure when or why this would ever come up for me, but maybe if for some reason I wanted to gun hunt turkey from a tree it would be an issue. I could also see it apply in other cases where you're not allowed to use a stand (e.g. small game with a rifle, migratory birds, or predators during the day). In any case, I was reading the Michigan hunting regs today about tree stands and raised platforms and thinking about how they would apply to saddles. The regs don't define tree stand, but do define raised platform as, "a horizontal surface, constructed or manufactured by a person, that increases the field of vision of a person using it beyond the field of vision that normally would be attained by that person standing on the ground." I think I understand what the intention is, but how do you think the MIDNR views saddles? Are they tree stands/raised platforms or not?

If they are stands, do we, technically, have to have our name and DL# affixed and visible from the ground when on public land? According to this statement, "if you hunt on public land, your tree stand must be portable and your name and address, Michigan driver License number, or DNR sportcard number must be affixed in legible English that can be easily read from the ground" even portable stands not left in the woods need to be labelled. If the saddle is a stand are we subject to this reg?

Anyone have thoughts? I realize that this is mostly a theoretical discussion, but it's the middle of winter and I'm bored enough to be reading the hunting regs. With the rising popularity of saddle hunting the DNR might want to clarify.

With saddle hunting still in its infancy (popularity wise) the MI DNR does not even have it on its radar. A saddle platform of any kind is a tree stand legally. The intent behind the Id requirements is for officers that stumble upon stands that ; have been left up after the take down date, have been placed on private property, are located over illegal bait, or have illegal shooting lanes. If you are not leaving your platform in the woods, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Especially since there is not enough room on a platform to meet the ID requirement. If you are actually concerned about it, Call the RAP line and ask to speak with one of the CO's from your county. They should call you back eventually. Don't call the regional office or a secretary will answer your question by citing the regulation. Most officers are reasonable about things like this but there are always a few that are not and that is why it is good that you are asking. Get the CO's name that you talk with and keep it in your phone and you will be good.

I was a CO in Michigan for 3 years from 2015-2017 so I have a decent idea how the department works. Let me know if you have any other questions.

It's a positioning aid.

If you were using a platform like the Predator or a DIY platform - it would be advisable to put your identification on it when hunting public land. I don't know what to do if you're using a ROS except put a zip tie with a label attached to that. I bet they consider the saddle a harness, and your foot platform (or positioning aid) as a tree stand. Even if you use the top of your climbing stick - that would be your tree stand. You are most certainly in an elevated position when saddle hunting if your feet are off the ground. However, for turkey season I'll likely be in my saddle, but my feet will still be on the ground (or able to touch the ground).

I am not with the DNR or affiliated in any way. My words mean nothing.

You can be off the ground this year.Turkey.PNG

Hrm. I need to get somebody to teach me and my son turkey hunting.

It's way more fun than deer hunting. Just walk around with a box call and a shotgun until you get a response. Get semi close, sit with your back to a tree and lightly call a couple times and wait for him to come in. Sit super still cuz they can see for a mile, and wait longer than you would think, cuz they will slow roll you.

Boom, you're a a turkey hunter. You can get fancy with a mouth or slate call if you feel the need the next year.

Go get yah some turkey calls and decoys. Pick a few different calls to start. Good slate call and box call. If you think you can do it a mouth call get one.
Watch videos on calling. Watching videos on hunting. Practice calling in car on the way to work to avoid wife agro.
Then the rest is like deer hunting. Scout some to figure where they are. Wake up at 3am to be out there at first lite. Call em in. Shoot.

Go get yah some turkey calls and decoys. Pick a few different calls to start. Good slate call and box call. If you think you can do it a mouth call get one.
Watch videos on calling. Watching videos on hunting. Practice calling in car on the way to work to avoid wife agro.
Then the rest is like deer hunting. Scout some to figure where they are. Wake up at 3am to be out there at first lite. Call em in. Shoot.

haha, that's why I like turkey hunting, I don't have to wake up at 3am! I'll roll out after breakfast :) This year I went out with a mouth call and a shotgun. 9 miles later on public land I was toting a turkey over my shoulder. This year I'm bringing the pack, turkeys get heavy fast :)

haha, that's why I like turkey hunting, I don't have to wake up at 3am! I'll roll out after breakfast :) This year I went out with a mouth call and a shotgun. 9 miles later on public land I was toting a turkey over my shoulder. This year I'm bringing the pack, turkeys get heavy fast :)
Just like deer hunting. There are several ways to get it done. Figure out which works best for you. Don't need the saddle if you kill em that way.
It is a lot of fun. Get a tag and give it a try. A good excuse for you and your son to go hunting in the spring. Plus you can do some scouting for deer along the way.

I just put in for my first turkey permit a few weeks ago. I've got a buddy to go with, but neither of us has ever done it. I'm really looking forward to it. I've been practicing with a slate call and have the basics down. If nothing else, it'll be a good chance to hang out in the woods with a good friend.

We may try a bit of both (crossbow for me). His parents have a bunch of land that we can gun hunt, but I also have access to some land near my house where i would only be comfortable with a bow. I'm also working on access to a couple other pieces that might be good for either.

My guess is that, where the law is concerned about hunting from an elevated position saddle hunting would be the same as using a tree stand.

Where the law is concerned about identifying your property then the saddle itself is a harness and any ROS or platform is the same as a tree stand and should hand identification on it.

I’d also say that in some places I hunt you can leave your stand during the season. It’s either mandatory or just a good idea to put your name on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back