• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How do you pack your cold weather gear in?

WCork

I have to pack my cold weather gear on my way in to avoid sweating. I sweat way to much when trying to wear bibs and a jacket on the walk to my tree. For those that pack their gear in...what are you using to carry that gear in? Temps are in the 30's in the morning already here in Indiana and my cold weather bibs and jacket are getting lots of use.

I walk in long underwear. Try to find the pace that just keeps me cool. I have a fairly large pack that I fit everything into, then strap my rail to the outside. With all the clothing it gets heavy. (I'm in ontario)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk in with a base layer and light outer layer. I put my heavier clothes in the backpack if they fit or I strap them to the outside of the bag. I put all the heavy stuff, whether it be jacket and pants or coveralls, on at the tree. Sometimes I will put another pair of socks and toe warmers in at the bottom of the tree too.

I am always looking for a better way. Now that I bought a molle frame I am thinking about some sort of lightweight bag that folds up really small but opens up to carry all the clothing and straps to the frame.

redsquirrel said:
I walk in with a base layer and light outer layer. I put my heavier clothes in the backpack if they fit or I strap them to the outside of the bag. I put all the heavy stuff, whether it be jacket and pants or coveralls, on at the tree. Sometimes I will put another pair of socks and toe warmers in at the bottom of the tree too.

I am always looking for a better way. Now that I bought a molle frame I am thinking about some sort of lightweight bag that folds up really small but opens up to carry all the clothing and straps to the frame.

That's exactly what I'd like to find. I'd like to get a nice pack to carry my clothes in but without any excess weight. The clothes take up a good amount of space so obviously it has to be a pretty good size pack.

I'll let you know if I figure something out. I have too many things I'm tinkering with right now lol.

I forgot to mention, regardless of weather, I wear my saddle in because it is so easy. If I am changing clothing I just take it off and put it back on.

If all your packing on your back is clothing, have you considered a mesh decoy bag?

fawnzy said:
If all your packing on your back is clothing, have you considered a mesh decoy bag?

I was thinking about something along those lines but it would have to have a decent pair of back pack straps on it.

I was thinking about a canvas hiking/camping bag that could be folded down really small when not in use. But could hold a fair amount of gear and has backpack straps....Is there anything out there like that?

I don't know about canvas but I'm sure you could get a light weight nylon. In Canada, the best source is mec.ca
They won't have anything in camo, but if it packs small enough it shouldn't matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

388dedb1ac84d4a1fc42be69771908ab.jpg

Here's a canvas from mec..

Cabelas has several decoy bags but they look unwieldy.

Here's how i've been packing in: Every sit this year has been hauling in with 4 lone wolf sticks, a tenzing 2200 daypack, my bow, and my neoprene saddle. At first I was cramming the saddle into my pack, but this became unwieldy because the neoprene saddle does not compress well. I've since just started wearing it in to my location.

The tenzing 2200 day pack has a bow/rifle boot. I've been strapping in my bow and then draping my outer shell/insulated jacket between the bow and the pack on the top. I'll leave the bow strapped in a little looser so I can cram my jacket between the pack and the bow. Then i'll tighten the strap if needed. I haven't had any issues going in like this yet.

You could also use the compression straps on the bottom of the pack to roll up a jacket or fasten other gear too. I haven't tried this with a jacket yet but did do this with my lone wolf sticks (all 4 of them) on the way in for a hunt before I had a carry strap for them.

The jacket doesn't go on until i'm at hunting height, at which point I pull the pack, bow, and jacket into the tree with my pull rope.

So far this has been working well, but I sure wish I'd had some opportunities to prep trees with pegs before season.

You're welcome. Prices are canadian so you should do alright

Back