• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How does your garden grow?

Oldnotdead

That may sound early to some, though I start all my own plants for an end of May planting. I have a large garden so I plant a lot. Today I planted 102 pepper seeds, a flat(72) of tomatoes, red and green cabbage, cheddar and snow cauliflower. One of my Dunstan chestnuts sprouted so I potted it up. Then tomorrow, maybe tonight, I'll plant the many different hot peppers, eggplants ,broccoli.sometime this week the peas and the spinach will get planted in the garden. Most all else is direct seeded. So many winter and summer squash,greens,beans,pumpkins,melons,beets,carrots, onions, garlic, herbs,cukes, and swt. Corn.

That's a good spread. I started two flats worth of seeds, from brussel sprouts and spinach to peppers and tomatoes, I usually put a couple seeds per hole in case one is a dud...I usually start mid February but I was late this year and started early March. I plan to do my transplanting in mid to late May. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It t doesn’t sound early for my area. I haven’t planted a garden in a couple years but we start plants around Valentine’s and would already have corn and peas planted. It sounds like you are off to a good start.

I figured some of you southern guys would be way ahead. I use to start plants way early so they'd be of good size. Though I realized planting would set them back, planting smaller plants they tend to take right off growing faster. My peas I usually plan on April one planting but snow kept me from working the ground and tonight we are going to low 20's with snow on Friday. I don't want the seeds frost heaving to the surface.

Still haven't seen the ground where my garden will grow yet this year. There's still 6 inches of snow on it. Was out for a little walk in the woods today and there's still 18+ inches of snow there. I'll be lucky to plant by May.

Back