• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How heavy a person is a 24kn rope safe for?

ThereWillBeSpuds

I know 24kn is the across the board required minimum breaking strength for ropes used to hold people under the ANSI regulations but surely if 24kn is the minimum safe breaking strength for an average sized person, surely it couldnt be safe for someone (or something) twice as heavy or more. Are there established guidelines for how heavy a person can use a standard 24kn rig?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

24kn is 5,395.2lbs. I'd say your good unless you fall with a lot of slack in your rope

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

What answer are you looking for? What are you trying to accomplish with the information?

24 Kn is around 5400 lbs.

There is a fall force calculation for weight and distance, plus rope elongation and the velocity of the person as they fall. Lots of math that I never grasped well enough to well and truly speak to it.

The fall factor is pretty specific in regards to your weight, your equipment and how far you fall. In a perfect world me minimize the amount of slack in our lines in order to minimize fall factor.

Here's a decent graphic, but there's no way to truly know specifically without taking the time to plug your equipment and weight into a calculator and I'd also encourage you to verify it by looking at several calculators and seeing disparity.

Attachments

• fall_forces_diagram_english.jpg
    fall_forces_diagram_english.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 43
Back