• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How high with 2 sticks?

md5252

Hello, new to the game and trying to fine tune an efficient system. I really like the 1 stick concept but not there yet (but practicing). Any tips are greatly appreciated.

As a compromise I was thinking of just 2 sticks. How high can you get with just 2 sticks and say 3-step aider? With 1 screw in step I could probably get the first stick on pretty high, that’s my theory anyway.

Thanks

Lot of variables. Stick length, aider measurement, personal step measurements (how high can you step) and how high can you reach to set your second stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, new to the game and trying to fine tune an efficient system. I really like the 1 stick concept but not there yet (but practicing). Any tips are greatly appreciated.

As a compromise I was thinking of just 2 sticks. How high can you get with just 2 sticks and say 3-step aider? With 1 screw in step I could probably get the first stick on pretty high, that’s my theory anyway.

Thanks
Not to derail your question but if your new to this I wouldn’t start with a 3 step aider on sticks to gain height. I’d carry an extra stick (w/ one step aider max) or learn to one stick........

I find it kind of hard to climb on more than a 1 aider a stick, unless you hook it from the top of the stick. It takes some practicing and making sure you are wobbling all over the place. I prefer 1 step aider because climbing in the dark and if I have bigger boots it makes it easier to find my footing. two sticks with aiders could easily get you 10-12 ft, adding a screw in step at the bottom, get you about 15ft id say

2 sticks and a 3 step carry with u aider + platform consistantly gets me to 12-15 feet

This. I use 2 regular length Hawk Helium and a 24" runner/aider on the bottom step of my first stick. Depending on how much I stretch things out and how high I step from the top step to the platform I can easily get 12' and upwards of 15' when needed. Add in a third stick, or bring the aider/runner up as I go if more height is needed.

Here is what I suggest to saddle rookies. Get yourself 3 mini sticks. Either buy Hawk minis or modify/cut down some API or Lone Wolf sticks so the distance between steps is 18"-22". If you cut down full length sticks, you will have to move the attachment knob/button.

Then buy yourself some climb-rated tubular webbing. Make a soft aider step out of the tubular webbing and permanently affix it to the bottom step so that it extends 18"-22" below the bottom hard step. (Gray line in drawing below) Do this for each mini stick. The soft aider step gives you the same height as a full length stick with a fraction of the weight and bulk. It also stays open if you affix it to the outside edges of the bottom step, thus making it easy to step into. Put your foot into the aider so that the strap is in the arch of your foot, put your toe against the tree, and climb. Doing so will reduce the risk of the soft step kicking out to the side.

Then make yourself a Carry-As-You-Go (CAYG) aider out of the webbing. (Blue line in drawing below) This is basically a loop of webbing that should be long enough to drape over the top stick stand-off (behind the top step) and extend 18"-22" below the permanent webbing aider. A lot of guys put a piece of clear hose on the webbing or a piece of stiff rope inside the webbing at the bottom point (Green line in drawing below)
so that this 2nd soft step stays open.

This allows you to hang the first stick basically as high as you can reach, drape the CAYG aider over the top, step into CAYG, step into permanent aider, then step onto the bottom stick step. At that point, you can remove the CAYG, sling it over your shoulder, and step onto the top stick step. Hang 2nd stick, and repeat the process.

As long as you use a lineman rope during your climb, this is about as safe/simple/light as it gets for someone who is green to saddle hunting, and 3 mini sticks + 2 aider steps each will get you anywhere from 15'-24' high depending on your height, athleticism, and step spacing.

1595343520155.png

Here is what I suggest to saddle rookies. Get yourself 3 mini sticks. Either buy Hawk minis or modify/cut down some API or Lone Wolf sticks so the distance between steps is 18"-22". If you cut down full length sticks, you will have to move the attachment knob/button.

Then buy yourself some climb-rated tubular webbing. Make a soft aider step out of the tubular webbing and permanently affix it to the bottom step so that it extends 18"-22" below the bottom hard step. (Gray line in drawing below) Do this for each mini stick. The soft aider step gives you the same height as a full length stick with a fraction of the weight and bulk. It also stays open if you affix it to the outside edges of the bottom step, thus making it easy to step into. Put your foot into the aider so that the strap is in the arch of your foot, put your toe against the tree, and climb. Doing so will reduce the risk of the soft step kicking out to the side.

Then make yourself a Carry-As-You-Go (CAYG) aider out of the webbing. (Blue line in drawing below) This is basically a loop of webbing that should be long enough to drape over the top stick stand-off (behind the top step) and extend 18"-22" below the permanent webbing aider. A lot of guys put a piece of clear hose on the webbing or a piece of stiff rope inside the webbing at the bottom point (Green line in drawing below)
so that this 2nd soft step stays open.

This allows you to hang the first stick basically as high as you can reach, drape the CAYG aider over the top, step into CAYG, step into permanent aider, then step onto the bottom stick step. At that point, you can remove the CAYG, sling it over your shoulder, and step onto the top stick step. Hang 2nd stick, and repeat the process.

As long as you use a lineman rope during your climb, this is about as safe/simple/light as it gets for someone who is green to saddle hunting, and 3 mini sticks + 2 aider steps each will get you anywhere from 15'-24' high depending on your height, athleticism, and step spacing.

View attachment 30628

Ok...I have the 15" EWO with a two step aider that is 15", a 17" shikar and the mini shikar. My mini has two double steps that I put on. Each shikar stick has a three step aider and each step is 12" to 13".
I'll add that I use a one stick method and after 3 moves, I'm 18 feet after I position my platform. I'll be using two sticks with the one stick method. I'll set the first step with the bottom aider step 18" from the ground. That will put my feet at 6-6.5' on the first transition. Then I'll move my tether as high as I can get it while standing on the top step. Then I put my next step with the bottom aider step 18" from the top of the first step. As I start to climb I pull my first step and attach it to my saddle. Get on the top step, move my tether as high as I can get it. My feet are now about 12-13' high. Then place my first stick (which is my 3rd transition) and place my stick with the bottom aider step about 16-18" and climb up. Grab my second stick and place it on my saddle. Now my feet are about 17-18' feet. Place my platform 18-24" up, now I place my second stick on the weak side of my platform and start my climb into my platform. Using my tether to aid me in climbing up, I reach down and grab my 3rd transition stick and place it on my strong side of my platform. I now have a double step on my left side and my right side has the mini with the scout platform on the weak side. It's not as complicated as I've written this, but it will work. That way I have everything level with my platform...

When coming down, I rappel down and grab my two sticks and platform while suspended in the tree. Then I just rappel down and pull my rope out of the tree.

All three of my sticks with aiders weighs just at 7lbs and my platform is the predator which is just 3lbs. With rappel rope, three sticks and platform I'm at 11lbs. I can make it a lot lighter by just using my mini with the scout platform as my climbing and platform method. I prefer to have more access around the tree.

Back