• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How long is your tether and lineman’s belt?

stickman6

I am switching over to a rope tether and linemans belt. I am just not real sure how long to make each of them. Give me an idea of what you guys are running, and how big of a tree that you usually climb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s very helpful. Thank you

You should consider a 2nd LB to get around tree limbs. Typically, guys are going with smaller diameter Amsteel for this setup. Packs light. I’m putting together my own saddle and will be making a 2nd LB for sure. Good luck!

Just use tether as 2nd LB when needed?
It's all about planning a workflow that minimizes gear complexity and keeps a streamlined profile. Whether that's a dedicated 2nd lb or multitasking with your tether is up to you and may depend on your choice of tether and carrying method.

Btw. I’m using about 6’ of Samson predator 7/8” (11.4mm). Will the RM1 chew this rope? Or is there another option for ascenders? Thanks!

I am not running predator but I used RM1’s on blue water assault line 11 mm all last year and showed 0 wear.

I’m have to check that out. Thank you. There’s tons of information here. You can spend weeks on here. lol This forum is awesome.

That’s a great idea. My tether and lineman’s belt are more than likely going to be identical anyway.

Practicing with my kestrel flex and adjustable bridge, I realized the bridge can also be used as a second lb to go around limbs. That makes it three ropes to use while climbing... tether, lb, bridge

I like having tether & LB identical

Exactly!

I have two ropes, same exact configuration, that can be used either as lineman’s belt or tether. Then, whether I bypass an even or odd amount of limbs, the rope that is free is what I use for tether.

When ascending or descending in cold, dark, maybe wet, when possibly Adrenalin filled (just shot a buck of a lifetime), caveman simplicity is the way.

Just my opinion.

Back