• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How many feet

You mean like a favourite tree or any tree. It really is all situationally dependent.

Really, personally I go as high as I can and still have shooting lanes. I like to get into the limbs a bit to break up my form. Or as high as I can till run out of stick.

Reactions: b73
As low as I can get away with.
Some situations may require being higher and some trees, due to available cover, may require being super low.

I'm not afraid of heights but there are a few reasons why I feel lower is better...

High stands effect shot angle. Bowhunters should strive for nothing but a double lung shot. The steeper the angle the less chance of getting both lungs.

High stands contribute to broadhead rib deflection. Yes it can happen...extreme downward angle of a shot can actually have a broadhead that hits "flat" against ribs deflect off the rib and remain outside the body cavity or change the path of the penetration. Broadheads, especially the large, 2-blade mechanicals, can defect on bone and essentially change the direction the arrow penetrates. Ask me how I know about rib deflection...I experienced it.

Higher stand height requires more time and energy to achieve that height. More climbing means carrying more sticks, or more bolts, more holes to drill, etc.

Higher stands have a better chance of being silhouetted against the skyline. Being skyline is super critical on any movements we make. Before setting a stand, try to look up into the tree from the location that the deer will most likely travel and stay below the skyline.

Low stands can complicate shooting lanes because of a dense understory. Sometimes low stands require cutting extensive shooting lanes...not always legal or practical.

Low stands can be a little more critical of being winded. But that only applies with deer that are very close to the tree.

Every situation requires individual assessment. Good hunters roll with it. They see the whole picture and adjust accordingly.

A few years ago, Barry Wensel killed a huge buck from a stand that was below 6 feet high. He analyzed the situation and adjusted to the needs.

Some situations may require being higher and some trees, due to available cover, may require being super low.

I'm not afraid of heights but there are a few reasons why I feel lower is better...

High stands effect shot angle. Bowhunters should strive for nothing but a double lung shot. The steeper the angle the less chance of getting both lungs.

High stands contribute to broadhead rib deflection. Yes it can happen...extreme downward angle of a shot can actually have a broadhead that hits "flat" against ribs deflect off the rib and remain outside the body cavity or change the path of the penetration. Broadheads, especially the large, 2-blade mechanicals, can defect on bone and essentially change the direction the arrow penetrates. Ask me how I know about rib deflection...I experienced it.

Higher stand height requires more time and energy to achieve that height. More climbing means carrying more sticks, or more bolts, more holes to drill, etc.

Higher stands have a better chance of being silhouetted against the skyline. Being skyline is super critical on any movements we make. Before setting a stand, try to look up into the tree from the location that the deer will most likely travel and stay below the skyline.

Low stands can complicate shooting lanes because of a dense understory. Sometimes low stands require cutting extensive shooting lanes...not always legal or practical.

Low stands can be a little more critical of being winded. But that only applies with deer that are very close to the tree.

Every situation requires individual assessment. Good hunters roll with it. They see the whole picture and adjust accordingly.

A few years ago, Barry Wensel killed a huge buck from a stand that was below 6 feet high. He analyzed the situation and adjusted to the needs.
Thanks

I completely agree with @Allegheny Tom. This may be my first year saddle hunting, but my hunting experience in general completely agrees with what he says about shot angle. The higher you get the smaller the target window is.

Seems like early season I always hunt a little lower. If I get too high I can't see the deer coming due to all the foliage still on the trees. as the leaves drop I'll start moving up for more cover.

My sweet spot seems to be 20-25 feet but it depends on cover I have and my field of vision. I knew a hunter that was big (we called him bear) he was afraid of heights. His stands were 6 feet off the ground and he killed deer!

Back