• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How quiet are Kuiu down pants as a top layer?

raisins

SH Member
Does anyone have experience with either or both of these of these? I don't need whisper quiet for my legs in a saddle, but are these quiet enough as a top layer to use saddle hunting? I just don't wanna spend all that money and then have a super loud fabric.

OR

The Pro (second link) has significantly more down.

My goal is to walk in with fewer bottom layers and down is my favorite insulation. My plan is to walk in with just thin bibs and put these on over the bibs.

My down jacket for up top weighs 14 oz. The top link pants weighs 8 oz and the bottom weighs 16 oz, so I'm guessing I'll be happier with the 16 oz.

My lower half doesn’t seem to need as much insulation as my upper half, so keep that in mind.
I love down, but I don’t use for pants/bibs in a saddle because the saddle compresses the down, which makes it WAY less effective. Down needs to loft in order to trap warm air. I have discovered I am better with thin layers for my pants/bibs in a saddle and down up top. Hope that helps. YMMV.

My lower half doesn’t seem to need as much insulation as my upper half, so keep that in mind.
I love down, but I don’t use for pants/bibs in a saddle because the saddle compresses the down, which makes it WAY less effective. Down needs to loft in order to trap warm air. I have discovered I am better with thin layers for my pants/bibs in a saddle and down up top. Hope that helps. YMMV.

Thanks. But I get cold easily all over (somewhat tall with low body fat....and I avoid the cold outside of hunting season). But I do need more layers up top, as you mentioned.

The only way for me not to sweat on the walk in with bottom layers would be thin base layer and thin bibs, and I'd freeze on a 6 hour sit with just that.

I'm guessing the compressed down will just give me a cold butt, I might compensate with fleece shorts.

What I have found that works for me is to walk in with bibs unzipped up the sides and just wear my top base layer.

when I get about 200 yards from my destination I will stop and change my socks. Put in my knee pads and likely my mid-layer. I’ll also leave my backpack unzipped so when I get setup I can put my outer top layer on.

I’ve found I tend to walk pretty quick so by slowing it down or taking short breaks every so often to cool down a little helps a lot as well.

Does anyone have experience with either or both of these of these? I don't need whisper quiet for my legs in a saddle, but are these quiet enough as a top layer to use saddle hunting? I just don't wanna spend all that money and then have a super loud fabric.

OR

The Pro (second link) has significantly more down.

My goal is to walk in with fewer bottom layers and down is my favorite insulation. My plan is to walk in with just thin bibs and put these on over the bibs.

My down jacket for up top weighs 14 oz. The top link pants weighs 8 oz and the bottom weighs 16 oz, so I'm guessing I'll be happier with the 16 oz.
They are loud and not very durable, but in saying that, they come with full length side zippers, and compress down very small into there own sack. I carry them in and drop my guide pants and put them on at my destination. You don't have to take your boots off. That's what makes them worth it. IMO.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They are loud and not very durable, but in saying that, they come with full length side zippers, and compress down very small into there own sack. I carry them in and drop my guide pants and put them on at my destination. You don't have to take your boots off. That's what makes them worth it. IMO.

Thanks. Any down loss from the pants? Do the side zippers allow total disconnection of the sides of the pants (like a typical jacket, so the pants can come off like a diaper) or is the zipper trapped so that you have to take off your over pants to put these on?

Thanks. Any down loss from the pants? Do the side zippers allow total disconnection of the sides of the pants (like a typical jacket, so the pants can come off like a diaper) or is the zipper trapped so that you have to take off your over pants to put these on?
No you don't have to take anything off. Full length zippers with velcro at top. Kuiu has merino bottoms that do the same. I believe they have videos on they're web page, plus YouTube describing there gear and how to use.

Back