• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How steep is too steep?

Tom Karrow

I have a tree I want to set up in, but it is on a pretty steep angle. How steep is too steep of a tree to set up in? Does it matter? I realize swinging around the tree will be tough, but that is not an issue for this set.

Thanks, Tom

I think only you can answer that. Set up and give it a try. As long as you can hang comfortably and remain in control almost any tree is huntable and only limited by your imagination and willingness to try. That's the great thing about hunting from a saddle, when you have to be in "that" tree, you can.

I don't know that there is an answer to that other than is it safe to climb, will it support your weight, if you end up on the low side can you get back on the high side again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you hang like a spider on the back side, good chance it's too steep.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Steep trees can be uncomfortable...doable, but uncomfortable. I always advise to setup on the top side and don't swing down. That can be problematic.

I guess it depends on how ya climb also.

If I had sticks on the upper side, Id be very weary of falling underneath a leaner, unless I had a rappel system. Even then youd have to go back up to get your sticks.
Wonder if you could even transfer to a rappel on a hang though...

Probably not

One of the s/drt systems you could just shimmy on up and down I guess no sweat

a78b2be4aafe1bcfcb538d4345eb2851.jpg

Too steep. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you hang like a spider on the back side, good chance it's too steep.

Honestly, in a spider set your best option is a Web and SRT. I've daydreamed about this hunt. You'd need a rigging line thrown to something static to give you some switch

Back