• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How to Attach Rope to Quicklink/Carabineer

mn_booner

I bought 40' of Sterling C-IV 9mm rope, a Quicklink, and a pouch from EWO. Just wondering what kind of knot I should use to attach the rope to the Quicklink? Currently using the Anchor hitch but wasn't sure if there were was a better option.

@mn_booner - All knots reduce the strength of the rope. Some knots do so more than others. One of the knots that reduces the strength of the rope the least, is the figure 8. I was taught to use this as the tie-in for my rock climbing ropes from a professional rock climbing instructor.

Link: Figure 8 Loop - Animated Knots

I also leave the tag end long enough to put a fisherman's stopper knot in place as an extra measure of safety. The knot can be neatly tightened (or "dressed") a little better than in my photo here, but this shows you what it looks like. It will tighten and get smaller once it's been weighted.IMG_1802.jpeg

P.S. Here's a link to some data on how big of a strength reduction you get for various knots in different ropes that were tested:
Rope knots: Strength Loss

@mn_booner - All knots reduce the strength of the rope. Some knots do so more than others. One of the knots that reduces the strength of the rope the least, is the figure 8. I was taught to use this as the tie-in for my rock climbing ropes from a professional rock climbing instructor.

Link: Figure 8 Loop - Animated Knots

I also leave the tag end long enough to put a fisherman's stopper knot in place as an extra measure of safety. The knot can be neatly tightened (or "dressed") a little better than in my photo here, but this shows you what it looks like. It will tighten and get smaller once it's been weighted.View attachment 33707

P.S. Here's a link to some data on how big of a strength reduction you get for various knots in different ropes that were tested:
Rope knots: Strength Loss
I am familiar with the figure 8 knot, but I was hoping to use a knot that cinchs down tight on the Quicklink.

Are you talking about the poachers knot and scaffold knot? Double fisherman's is for tying two different lines together and stafford knot looks like a pretzel lol.

Are you talking about the poachers knot and scaffold knot? Double fisherman's is for tying two different lines together and stafford knot looks like a pretzel lol.

Yes sorry. I was getting my fly fishing terminology with my saddle hunting minds yes poachers knot or a scaffold knot is what I use and it is perfect for this use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sorry. I was getting my fly fishing terminology with my saddle hunting minds yes poachers knot or a scaffold knot is what I use and it is perfect for this use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha no problem, knot terminology is pretty confusing. Just wanted to make sure I am looking up the right stuff!

I used a scaffold knot on mine, just make sure you have enough tag end before you put load on it. Once it cinches down on the quick link it’s tough to get it loose.

Scaffold knot, but make sure that your quick link is wide if you use it. It is possible to pull a narrow, oval quick link through the wraps of the scaffold/poachers knot and the knot will then untie itself. The wraps of the knot do not cinch down underweight enough to prevent this in all cases. Even more so, the scaffold/poachers knot should not be used on a straight piece of webbing or something similar as it will pull the webbing right through itself.

I like the double loop of the anchor hitch - helps to keep the quicklink in place. I use the extra half-hitch to tidy up the tag.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

Anchor bend(hitch) and Buntline hitch are also viable alternatives.

Scaffold knot, but make sure that your quick link is wide if you use it. It is possible to pull a narrow, oval quick link through the wraps of the scaffold/poachers knot and the knot will then untie itself. The wraps of the knot do not cinch down underweight enough to prevent this in all cases. Even more so, the scaffold/poachers knot should not be used on a straight piece of webbing or something similar as it will pull the webbing right through itself.
I'm just gonna bump and repeat this since it's a really important point of where and how that knot can fail, and an easy error to make I guess I'd imagine there's a rope-to-link size ratio to try to maintain.

Back