• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How to cut down Hawk Heliums?

Saddler

I’ve seen lots of threads showing Helium mods, and it looks like a popular one is to cut down to 2 steps (vs 3) ~ 20-24” apart. For packability I’m considering that mod for a set of 2019 heliums, but I’m not sure what it requires. How are folks cutting their Helium climbing sticks?

Chop saw, angle grinder with cutoff wheel, and hacksaw all do the job.

a751917dc53e7fbd19fbcef32dcb9f7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't take credit for this idea as I found it on here somewhere (I think it was @elk yinzer ) but I cut off the bottom section with a saw to get the overall length I wanted. Then I clamped the cut off portion back onto the stick aligning the old bottom edge and the new bottom edge. That provided a template to drill the new holes for the lower standoff and the lower set of steps. Then just move the middle steps and standoff to the new holes you just drilled.

I used a hack saw to cut the main rail and like @boyne bowhunter mentions, used the cutoff portion as a template to drill the new holes. Someone mentioned cutting the top off instead of the bottom and supposedly it was slightly easier (I cut the bottoms off of mine)

The clamping/template idea is a great one. Wish I had seen or thought of that.

I used my reciprocating saw with a fine tooth metal blade. Went right through it. A little bit of filing removed any sharp edges or burs from the new edge.

The sticks are great out of the box, but are sweet when cut down to two steps. I'm 6' and I cut mine to 24". I cut the tops because it was easier to get the desired length. Because of the slot interference cutting the bottom was going to force me to choose between 21" and 25".

Back