• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How to get down after losing climbing stick?

CJP2017

Recently, i was practicing my climbing methods & systems - at night w/o using any artificial light.

I use XOP climbing sticks, each w an extra aider step made from straps. I'm still trying to figure out the best method for carrying the 3rd & 4th sticks up the tree.

This time i figured i'd use a loop in my pull up rope b4 pulling up my bow. Once i was standing on my 2nd step & pulling up on the rope i hit a snag. I assumed my stick was stuck in the tall grass & kept pulling. I finally turned my head lamp on & realized my pull up rope had somehow got in between my 1st stick and the tree & I managed to twist the stick so it was no longer cleated to the tree.

The bottom aider loop on my 2nd step is about 8' from the the ground - which is a bit higher (and also an unstable platform) than i'd like to jump from.

I ended up using my linesman belt, tree strap, & rope bridge to make a clumsy, sweaty, tree-scraping descent of the final 8'.

Afterwards i began to wonder what if this were the 2nd or 3rd stick? It would be a much more potentially dangerous situation.

Does anybody have a method or tools that can help descend a tree safely in the event of a climbing stick / step failure?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In the old days, when I used pole climbers exclusively, I would literally bear hug the tree and slide down ...intentionally. And while I'm prone to hyperbole, this is no joke. Can't imagine doing that at 47 lol... but in a pinch, if you're fairly fit, it can be done. However, I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT. That's why I'm now following along...

I would just one stick method back down. Set tether right above climbing climbing stick you are standing on, set it so it’s tight as you slowly lean down off your aider. Unhook stick, lower it a foot or two or however far you can while suspended in your saddle. Reattach stick. Stand upright and lower tether and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your stick or step you are standing on fails, and don’t have access to another, use your linesman(or tether) whichever your not using, girth hitch the tree and make a loop to stand on with one foot, stand up to get tension off the other rope, lower it a little, lean back, and lower ‘Step’ rope. Inch worm your way down. Wouldn’t be a lot fun, but better than a bear hug..

You can also purchase single use lowering systems for tree stand hunters.
It is only single use so if you use it you’re buying another. But....cheap insurance.

I feel like the one stick method, is very valuable skill to at least learn, even if you don’t plan to use it. If your hunting and your lower sticks get knocked off, stolen, eaten by grizzly, you would have a sure fire, and quite easy decent. If some how all of your sticks blew away while you’re up the tree, a backup tether/linesman will serve as a makeshift aider to relive tension on your other ropes to get down.

I use an Ameritech to hang my rifle. That’s my back up. It would be a slow descent for sure.
That said. I’ll have an rebuke this year. I think I’ll practice with the ARC rope ladder. It won’t rattle on the bike. No real concerns of it falling. I will put some orange on the loops to find them easier in the dark.
I thought about reflective tape but that might spook a deer.

Arghh. I’ll have an e-bike.

Always have a secondary method to get down. This can be as simple as 1 Cranford rope step to "1 step climb" down the tree. Or as others have stated 1 stick climb down if you have access to a stick when you get stranded. That's what I like about 1 stick climbing and rappelling down. If I were to ever drop my stick then I'll just hook up my rappel rope and I'm good

You can also purchase single use lowering systems for tree stand hunters.
It is only single use so if you use it you’re buying another. But....cheap insurance.

I have a treestand wingman I used with my climber. Maybe I’ll keep it in my pack as insurance. It can be reset and reused too.

I always carry two small homemade aiders that I can attach to the tree and make my way down with them and in a pinch they can be used as a platform! Just hook them to the tree and stand up in them then lower your tether sit back down slide them down stand up and repeat!!!!

Shop for the lightest certified climbing rope you can find and a descender tool. Carry them in an extra molly pouch. Or just use a tether with extra length to it. Stop knot and daisy chain to keep it short

Back