• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How will the hunting be after a controlled burn?

Jeremy_D

Jumped in my boat today and set out to scout a 275 acre island. I get there and find out they did a controlled burn on it. Basically all oaks and thickets. I could still see deer trails and crap after the burn. All that really burnt was what was laying on the floor. They must have just done it in the last couple days. We found 2 logs still burning. Seen one turkey and found a small matching shed set. Seemed like alot of good sign in the bit we got to check. Im hoping it doesnt get hit alot because its only accessible by boat. How will the burn probably affect it?

Deer will like feeding on the nutrient rich new growth and the turkey will like feeding on all the insects brought on by the new growth. Overall a great benefit to all wildlife. I've attached an article if you wanted to read about benefits, uses, etc. of rx burning.

Attachments

• Ext EC148.pdf
    798.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
If it clears out the understory, deer will avoid it in the day light but come to it to feed in the evening, then as it starts to grow up it should com in thick and deer will use it as daytime cover after a few years.

I have always had good luck in burned area after 6 months and 5 years. New undergrowth, better views. You have to be more careful with lights and movement. Concentrate along the edges of the burn not burned areas.

They left plenty of cover behind. And im sure it will grow back this spring. Being an island I was wondering if the fire will push the deer off the island before it gets a change to grow back in the spring and if it will populate by hunting season.

If they still feel safe there they will be back immediately. Controlled burns move slowly and in my experience wont move the deer out of there for long at all. Once the human scent goes away they will investigate or return out of habit and discover what is there. If the burn made the area undesirable, they will leave but if there is still a reason for them to hang around, they will move right back in. Add that to that the new growth that will sprout over the summer and it could be a good spot once the fall comes around.

Water is not a barrier to deer. If there were deer there before, they'll be back. An island is a prime bedding spot for bucks.
Don't be too concerned, just scout it a few times during the late spring and again in the summer to verify.

Third year after the burn produces the most food. That's how they feed the deer herd down here.

Back