• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How would YOU hunt this

BradD20

This is basically a 800yd long hollow with steep sides all the way around. From the road to the back of the hollow, i counted 19 scrapes and 23 rubs along the creek on the bottom. Access can be from the top or from the road in the bottom at the mouth. The right side walking in from the road is super thick, mtn Laurel, and young trees. The left side is mainly mature timber. The back of the hollow around the drains has a lot of hardwood regeneration from old trees falling down and getting sunlight to the floor. The most of deer sign I’ve found ins directly in the bottom. But there are trails in the bottom, on the sides, and on top. I have not dove into the thick to look for beds but i have no doubt deer are bedded in it.
3580491902635bace7e40cee525c426c.jpg

0efea66a1a50a872c7b5c06db00cb15e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the wind/thermals, but I'd try to walk in with the wind in my face as much as possible, move slowly and scout the edges/transitions between the different vegetation types. Scout around until you see or bump deer and mark those locations. Depending on the temperature/time of day (sunny side/shady side) I may adjust where I'm looking as well. It may be a scout one day, hunt a week or two later scenario. More experienced guys may weigh in differently, but that's what I would try. If there's a lot of scrapes and rubs in the bottom, are they all fresh?

I watched a podcast with Micheal Perry as the guest. I liked what he talked about when dealing with this type of terrain. He basically strategically hunts the bottom of the draw and times his evening entry to the time when the thermals are switching from rising to falling. He cuts it close and tries to slip in and kill the buck as it is coming down from bedding up top during the day. Most of the sign left in the bottoms is made at night. Thought it was interesting and worth a try. I think this is the podcast where I first saw this strategy.

Hunt it today, during the rut? I'd find an oxbow near as much of the sign you found as possible that will funnel the cruising bucks into bow range and pick a tree near that. Sit in the tree as long as possible until one walks by. As for access I would just avoid walking through bedding cover as much as possible. If there is a road in the bottom I would just walk that in as far as I could until I got where I want to go.

Hunt it today, during the rut? I'd find an oxbow near as much of the sign you found as possible that will funnel the cruising bucks into bow range and pick a tree near that. Sit in the tree as long as possible until one walks by. As for access I would just avoid walking through bedding cover as much as possible. If there is a road in the bottom I would just walk that in as far as I could until I got where I want to go.
Curious what you are referring to by oxbow? I have fished and hunted oxbows all my life in river bottom country. Never heard that term used in the hills or mountains. What am I missing?

Curious what you are referring to by oxbow? I have fished and hunted oxbows all my life in river bottom country. Never heard that term used in the hills or mountains. What am I missing?
He said there is a creek in the bottom. I would just find a spot to use the creek to funnel the deer movement.

I'm guessing you hunt the outside of the oxbow? Treating the water almost like the opening in a square field and where you hunt as the woods near the corner?

For instance, blue is water and so hunt at red star? I could see the inside of the oxbow being used as bedding (water surrounding them) but can't see that as a funnel.

1699384954094.png

I'm guessing you hunt the outside of the oxbow? Treating the water almost like the opening in a square field and where you hunt as the woods near the corner?

For instance, blue is water and so hunt at red star? I could see the inside of the oxbow being used as bedding (water surrounding them) but can't see that as a funnel.

View attachment 94563
Yes

Only problem is if you hunt the bottom there the winds are going to swirl nonstop. I basically completed stopped hunting the lower 2/3 of Mtns because of it

View attachment 94563
Yes that is what I would do. But if the sign dictated it you could also hunt it reverse too. I've seen that they will travel straight from one side of the point on that oxbow you drew to the other without needing to to follow the river or creek, they just take the shortest route. Probably situational and depending on the size. I would hunt where ever the sign or deer observations told me they were coming through.

I would hunt in the middle length wise and if bow, In the bottom to shoot either hill, if gun on the top on the easiest side to access to shoot across the entire holler

Back