• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How would you hunt this?

cdg097

Ok guys, I’m looking for some thoughts on this one. This is my family’s property that we’ve owned for 25 years. I could go out and shoot does or young bucks anytime I want to, but I’m not interested in young bucks anymore. My dad and I are the only ones that hunt it, but he practices zero scent control, overhunts stands, and will take an ATV through the property at times when I’m not there. I’m looking for the likeliest spots to take mature bucks. I have some ideas but I want some unbiased opinions as well. Black line is rough idea of property lines. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like there are some good points and features to be had. Upload a pick showing the topography too. Also, if over hunting and always entering the same way, those mature bucks will have you patterned. How many acres is that for reference?

Thanks for the response! The property is 215 acres. Because of the swamp/marsh layouts, there is no way to access it other than the one way, which is way the ATV access bugs me so much. I’m trying to get him to go to a bicycle, however he thinks I’m crazy. He has taken a handful of decent bucks off the property over the years, but every one of them has been with a rifle. Nothing with a bow, and only one of them has been 3.5 years old. Everything else is 2.5 years old. With a saddle I feel that I can overcome some of his pressure, etc. The topo won’t show much, as we don’t have much for elevation changes really, as you’ll see.

Here is a bigger pic. Only Ag is to the NW of us and thats it for about 15-20 miles.

I like this thread.
Here are some pic of a finger Marsh I think holds bucks.
42e6b12f31de97270438d2caa891cc5f.png

This lake is more or less a north south orientation. There is no Ag close by.
The east side of the lake is very steep, difficult terrain and dense bush and several bear dens close by. The south side is a maze of large mounds 5-10 m high covered in dense forest. Access to the lake is on the south west side where the road is closest.

Deer pass the south side from the finger marsh to the twin marshes to the SW. or vice versa.

We have our stands set up for intercept.

Once pressured I think the finger becomes a haven.

The only approach I can see is the lake.

Waiting for the right wind E-S seems to make the most sense. Then paddle in.

I’m using a rifle so I don’t necessarily need to enter the finger.

The camp expects me to be on stand(not the finger) first thing in the morning.

This makes it an afternoon hunt. I’m thinking my best bet is to hang back from the mouth of the finger and hope Mr. Big moves in the finger during the daylight.

Thoughts?

I like this thread.
Here are some pic of a finger Marsh I think holds bucks.
42e6b12f31de97270438d2caa891cc5f.png

This lake is more or less a north south orientation. There is no Ag close by.
The east side of the lake is very steep, difficult terrain and dense bush and several bear dens close by. The south side is a maze of large mounds 5-10 m high covered in dense forest. Access to the lake is on the south west side where the road is closest.

Deer pass the south side from the finger marsh to the twin marshes to the SW. or vice versa.

We have our stands set up for intercept.

Once pressured I think the finger becomes a haven.

The only approach I can see is the lake.

Waiting for the right wind E-S seems to make the most sense. Then paddle in.

I’m using a rifle so I don’t necessarily need to enter the finger.

The camp expects me to be on stand(not the finger) first thing in the morning.

This makes it an afternoon hunt. I’m thinking my best bet is to hang back from the mouth of the finger and hope Mr. Big moves in the finger during the daylight.

Thoughts?

Brother, I was specifically asking for some pointers on how to better hunt my piece, lol. I wasn’t intending for it to turn into one for everyone to ask how to hunt a piece of land.

Sorry for the hijack. Readers please don’t answer mine here. I’ll repost

It’s really tough without a more detailed picture. What kind of condition are the roads. Everyday vehicles are so much quieter than ATVs. How deep is the water in the swamp? Do you get pictures of mature deer on cameras? I personally like both corners to the north. The right of way on one side then the small strip between the pond and other small swamp. Both of those should be good during the rut. Then the edge of the swamp itself. Including what appears to be a high spot or island close to the southwest corner of your property. I like edges and you have a lot of them. You have had the property for a quarter century. Ask yourself where is so nasty that you and your dad don’t care to go. Then make it a point to check those out.

Small properties like that are easy to walk. I use topos more to narrow down areas that you can't thoroughly walk.

I'd section it off into 4-5 sections, and tromp the ever-lovin' mess out of it after season. One section at a time. Take an app like huntstand with you and mark every rub, scrape, bed, runway, etc. Mark where you jump deer too. Bust through the stuff a rabbit wouldn't run through. Wade the marsh.

Flush'em out!

What you find may surprise you. Terrain is secondary to pressure, which it sounds like you have plenty of.

Then, since you own it, prep the top 5 spots however you prefer. Leave it til prime time. Let dad have his fun. Some things are more important than deer.

Small properties like that don't take a long time to screw up. I know, my dad and I have a 175 acre lease.

Alternatively, plant one big food plot in the center. Big as you can. Hunt it a couple of times a year during prime time.

Most of the "beast" and "run-and-gun" strategies do not work well on small properties. You've probably got 1-2 really killer locations on a parcel that size. Less is more on those properties.

It’s really tough without a more detailed picture. What kind of condition are the roads. Everyday vehicles are so much quieter than ATVs. How deep is the water in the swamp? Do you get pictures of mature deer on cameras? I personally like both corners to the north. The right of way on one side then the small strip between the pond and other small swamp. Both of those should be good during the rut. Then the edge of the swamp itself. Including what appears to be a high spot or island close to the southwest corner of your property. I like edges and you have a lot of them. You have had the property for a quarter century. Ask yourself where is so nasty that you and your dad don’t care to go. Then make it a point to check those out.

Totally understand what you are saying. The roads are in condition that they can be driven on with a vehicle. Ideally I would love to see him ride a bicycle, as he will ride a bicycle every day during the summer. Its just that when it comes to hunting season, me even mentioning it to him gets a look from him like I’ve lost my mind. Water in the swamp the last few years has been chest to overhead high (went in over my head once last year on a hunt, thankfully it was 70 degrees out), and not clear enough for a canoe or kayak.

Small properties like that are easy to walk. I use topos more to narrow down areas that you can't thoroughly walk.

I'd section it off into 4-5 sections, and tromp the ever-lovin' mess out of it after season. One section at a time. Take an app like huntstand with you and mark every rub, scrape, bed, runway, etc. Mark where you jump deer too. Bust through the stuff a rabbit wouldn't run through. Wade the marsh.

Flush'em out!

What you find may surprise you. Terrain is secondary to pressure, which it sounds like you have plenty of.

Then, since you own it, prep the top 5 spots however you prefer. Leave it til prime time. Let dad have his fun. Some things are more important than deer.

Small properties like that don't take a long time to screw up. I know, my dad and I have a 175 acre lease.

Alternatively, plant one big food plot in the center. Big as you can. Hunt it a couple of times a year during prime time.

Most of the "beast" and "run-and-gun" strategies do not work well on small properties. You've probably got 1-2 really killer locations on a parcel that size. Less is more on those properties.

This is my plan, more in-depth scouting post season. I realize that it was easy to fall into a routine of hunting the same stands over and over, year after year, and if that was consistently producing, great, but its not. So I need to change things up.

1539393557309.png

This is where I would start. Not sure what the topo looks like, but if it's flat/farm style land that's what I would think to begin.

Back