• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How would you tackle this area?

coosa1

Got drawn for one of Alabama's special opportunity hunts this year. the way it works is you get drawn for an SOA on a specific hunt date and you are given a 300-500 acre section to hunt for the weekend. I've gotten drawn before and had some success but this years section is new to me. I've never hunted much flat/swampy land. How would you go about scouting/setting up based on the sattelite/topo map? We get to go in for one day on Oct 5 to scout and then our hunt weekend will be Oct 25. Any suggestions?

The markers are the obvious high spots in the swamp that I want to check out if possible.

Uchee Creek.PNG

Those clusters of timber in the middle of the swap would be where I would go. Right along that contour line. No sense in waiting since you have limited time.

Those clusters of timber in the middle of the swap would be where I would go. Right along that contour line. No sense in waiting since you have limited time.
x3 on those trees. It hard to tell for sure but I imagine the will be bedding closer to those trees, the other spot I would check out would be a point on the north side of that timber on the south end of the area. Hopefully you get a north/northwest wind

Walk it all on your scouting weekend! That's what I'm doing. Got drawn for Portland Landing and will be scouting it 10-12. Hopefully it doesn't flood, we're right on the river.

The units are pretty small, from what I'm seeing. Under 1000 acres. You and a buddy should be able to trump it up pretty good.

Walk it all on your scouting weekend! That's what I'm doing. Got drawn for Portland Landing and will be scouting it 10-12. Hopefully it doesn't flood, we're right on the river.

The units are pretty small, from what I'm seeing. Under 1000 acres. You and a buddy should be able to trump it up pretty good.

I hunted Stimpson SOA last year and the river down there was so bad flooded that they had to close the sections that were closest to it due to them being under water. Best hunt I've ever been on because our section was the closest high ground and it had all the deer and hogs pushed up there.

Find the transition areas, were 2 or more type of terrain, field or timber meet.

Well where did you decide you are going to hunt in a couple days??
Well we scouted it and found only 5 or so potholes of water in the whole creek/swamp and were pumped about hunting water holes. But we've had enough rain lately to get the creek flowing again so water is out.

With the wind that is in the forecast I think I'm going to hunt a stand of oaks that is in the bottom right corner right at the corner of those planted pines. You can't really tell it on the map but that particular corner of pines goes out onto a finger into the swamp and it's steep on two sides making it into a natural funnel. There were a bunch of old rubs in there when we scouted and I jumped a decent buck bedded in the pines not 100yds from there.

My buddy is planning on focusing on oaks along the top edge of those thicker pines in the middle. Saw alot of sign along that transition and ran into a large group of hogs.

We're heading down tomorrow to set up camp and start hunting in the afternoon. We'll see how it goes!

Scroll down to Mr Warren’s info...

Back