• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

How young is too young for a tree saddle?

11bravo

My six year old wants to hunt with me but all I have is public to hunt this year. I know it’s late to teach him the saddle and will probably be in a ground blind. I was just wondering if anyone would put a six year old in a saddle. Not to high and obviously right there in the same tree.

6 might be a bit young. But if you srt with kid on your back secured, and rappel down with kid on your back secured. Also make sure you can tether kid to you and tree at the same time. But I would go ground blind for another 2 or 3 years.

" babe, I accidentally dropped junior 15' out of a tree" is probably not a sentence thats good for your health, mental health, or marriage.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

It’s the climbing that’s tough. If your six year old can climb go for it. I don’t know many six year olds that could be still enough to expect to see deer.

My six year old wants to hunt with me but all I have is public to hunt this year. I know it’s late to teach him the saddle and will probably be in a ground blind. I was just wondering if anyone would put a six year old in a saddle. Not to high and obviously right there in the same tree.
Im 15 and I love it!

Reactions: MJH
He’s a freak of nature and sits still and quiet. He’s not afraid to climb in ladder stands and sit for 6 hours. Problem is, 2 hurricanes back to back wiped out my lease and public is the only way as of now. But yes, SRT sounds good to start. I’m open to anything that keeps me from leaving my boy at the house.

I was climbing trees at 5 with screw in steps so you may try the strap on steps cause they should be legal on public just make sure he climbs strapped in and you could climb right behind him to help him if he needs it or you could us those 30ft safety lines and you go up first hook it up then come back down and still follow him up as long as he is comfortable climbing and safe!!! Good luck brother and be safe!!

I made a 2 strap saddle for my 6yr old daughter this summer. But she’s not huntin and shes not climbin haha. I pick her up and hang her from a limb and spin her around In circles like a tilt a whirl. Loves it!

I think I posted this already in a different thread but when my son was young I bought a rock climbing harness for kids and would put up a safety rope w/prussic so no chance he could fall. We was in a treestand though.

My biggest concern when he was young was, what if something happened to me and he was on his own.

94524d5beab574b1bc197da208c42eab.jpg

98fd7f89af32c4ab72b783d1814dbe37.jpg

cf18e3945214e2ebf34ea7cb411b4716.jpg

a56f7d07e3eefb9403c9266d6316a9d0.jpg

I built my 7 year old a saddle, and he loves it. We never go more than 2 sticks up. I go up first and secure a life line and Prusik, thst way he’s connected at all times as he climbs. The linesman’s belt is tough to manage for kids. He uses my platform and I use an OOL scout. I usually try to get on a ridge or elevated position to give us more view. We might see a deer , we might not, but he will never forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old enough to crawl, old enough to brawl! Haha. If it can be done safely and your kid is up for the task, I say run it!

Back