• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Howdy!

Doofy

Just wanted to stop in and say hello and thanks to all the users for posting so much useful information. I've been lurking on here the past couple weeks reading up on saddle stuff. Finally bit the bullet this morning and ordered a New Tribe Aero Hunter Evolution. I spend a stupid amount of time in the woods so I'm hoping this makes my trips in a little less painful on the deep treks in the public grounds of Maryland.

Once again....thanks for all the help and info!

Welcome. You're welcome.
I hope the new tribe saddle helps you. Of course, you could also end up like some of us (owning a bunch of saddles). Welcome to the addiction.

essdub said:
Welcome. You're welcome.
I hope the new tribe saddle helps you. Of course, you could also end up like some of us (owning a bunch of saddles). Welcome to the addiction.

If saddles are anything like bows I will have ten saddles by the time hunting season gets here.

Good grief, don't I know the feeling.
I started out using a hunting harness (like with a tree stand), then a rock climbing harness (which I still use sometimes- actually used it today to climb), then I bought the Aero evolution, and it all seemed to happen really fast after that. I customized the aero, then bought a custom sling from Ken (awesome sling btw) , then made two or three custom saddles/slings, bought a couple sit drag slings, and just this week have made two deals for two more people for other slings. Plus I bought and sold several in between there.I think I probably have at least ten or eleven currently, with two more on the way. Like I said, welcome to the addiction.
It started with something but saddles have become the centerpiece for me and has progressed into a ton of different climbing methods (all of which I use, under different circumstances). Like spurs, SRT rope climbing, sticks, screw in steps, Stepp Ladder (and knock offs), etc.
Weapon choices have always varied for me.
Rifles, shotguns, pistol, compound bow (I switched to shorter ATA bow from saddle) , then most recently I switched to all traditional and have bought a ton of those bows too including three custom bows.
If you're like a lot of us, then you'll love the freedom and relative ease and simplicity of the saddle and it'll just feed your addiction to other gear too. Welcome

Welcome. Don't be afraid to ask any question. Good chance we all wondered the same thing at one time. Great group here and very helpful.

essdub said:
Good grief, don't I know the feeling.
I started out using a hunting harness (like with a tree stand), then a rock climbing harness (which I still use sometimes- actually used it today to climb), then I bought the Aero evolution, and it all seemed to happen really fast after that. I customized the aero, then bought a custom sling from Ken (awesome sling btw) , then made two or three custom saddles/slings, bought a couple sit drag slings, and just this week have made two deals for two more people for other slings. Plus I bought and sold several in between there.I think I probably have at least ten or eleven currently, with two more on the way. Like I said, welcome to the addiction.
It started with something but saddles have become the centerpiece for me and has progressed into a ton of different climbing methods (all of which I use, under different circumstances). Like spurs, SRT rope climbing, sticks, screw in steps, Stepp Ladder (and knock offs), etc.
Weapon choices have always varied for me.
Rifles, shotguns, pistol, compound bow (I switched to shorter ATA bow from saddle) , then most recently I switched to all traditional and have bought a ton of those bows too including three custom bows.
If you're like a lot of us, then you'll love the freedom and relative ease and simplicity of the saddle and it'll just feed your addiction to other gear too. Welcome

Last year I sold all of my compound stuff and I can't tell you how many recurves I bought. I've owned about every ILF recurve riser made for hunting and a few all wood single piece bows. Only two I have left are a Black Bear riser with sage limbs and a Black Bear Warf riser which I'm thinking about selling soon. Needless to say....I'm back to a compound and have purchased a press, vice, and all the other tools that I sold off during my initial switch. I'm shooting an Elite Synergy now and for once I'm completely satisfied with a bow.

As for climbing gear goes I currently only hunt public grounds so I have four lonewolf sticks. One soon to have a webbing aider when all my ropes and webbing arrive. I'm not sure if I'm going to use all four or the 1 stick method. Only time will tell I guess. I might pick up a second evolution saddle. Have to get this one past the wife first.

swampsnyper said:
Welcome. Don't be afraid to ask any question. Good chance we all wondered the same thing at one time. Great group here and very helpful.
Thank you! So far everything I have read has been very helpful.

Really the only question I have so far is how long should I expect my saddle to last? I hunt 5 days a week 5 months out of the year but take very good care of my gear. I will most likely wait to put it on until I get to the tree to prevent further wear and tear from the long hikes in. I'm guessing it should last at least 5 years.

Doofy said:
swampsnyper said:

Really the only question I have so far is how long should I expect my saddle to last? I hunt 5 days a week 5 months out of the year but take very good care of my gear. I will most likely wait to put it on until I get to the tree to prevent further wear and tear from the long hikes in. I'm guessing it should last at least 5 years.

I don't see where there would be any wear issues on the Evo harness itself for a few years. Should last a long time. Hunting that much, the tree strap would probably be the 1st thing to be replaced, then the bridge.

swampsnyper said:
I don't see where there would be any wear issues on the Evo harness itself for a few years. Should last a long time. Hunting that much, the tree strap would probably be the 1st thing to be replaced, then the bridge.

That's good news. I've got enough rope on order to make a few extra tree straps ;)

Welcome to the sight. This was my first year in a saddle and I am never turning back. I sold all my ladder stands yesterday. I hunt private land and the saddle gives me so many options I never had before.

Welcome to the site.

I love it when hunters jump into saddle hunting with both feet! It seems like you have to be committed in order to really see any benefit. The guys that try it once or twice in the back yard, and then hunt out of it once will never really get it. You have to be willing to put in some time and effort. You also have to understand that there is a learning curve. You will make mistakes. If you stay with it, I have no doubt you'll be another Saddle Hunter convert for life. It's truly the best way to hunt.

Doofy said:
swampsnyper said:

First off, welcome to the site! Second, the Evo is a REALLY well built piece of gear and will last as long as you need it to i'm sure! :cool:

Doofy said:
swampsnyper said:

I've been in a Green's (Trophyline) saddle for 16 years. By today's standards that is a great piece of equipment. If New Tribe shares the craftsmanship goals that Trophyline did then you should be in great shape.Welcome aboard

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. Good to hear the saddle should hold up for a while. That was my biggest fear when dropping $300 since I hunt so much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

One of the biggest things I've done to extend the life of my hunting gear was getting married and having kids! Lol On the the other hand, that may have extended my life too. I use to take a lot more chances back then.

Re: RE: Re: Howdy!

swampsnyper said:
One of the biggest things I've done to extend the life of my hunting gear was getting married and having kids! Lol On the the other hand, that may have extended my life too. I use to take a lot more chances back then.
I can imagine. I'm in my forties and single again. I take as many chances now as I did when I was a kid. In some ways.
And every time I try to get my little brother to take the nephew with us and go do something like hunt or shoot or camp, his wife vetoes my suggestion. So I bet that is a good way to extend the life of your gear. If you're allowed to buy it.
I haven't worn any holes or anything in any of my saddles, but I have worn through the jackets of a few ropes, worn or torn holes into boots, pants, jackets, bibs, waders, back packs, shorts, shirts, socks,etc. And lost or broken at least one of everything else (especially cell phones) I can think of that I carry into the woods.

I'm married but currently don't have any kids; however, I believe this will be my last deer season without kids so I'm going to make it a good one. My wife grew up on a farm and the majority of the meat that her family ate was venison so she is very supportive of my hunting habit....just not all the toys I think I need in order to hunt. Not sure what will happen when a kid comes along.

I can't tell you how many times I've dropped my phone out of the tree. Only thing that I've broken so far on one of them is the ringer.

Yup, so is mine and she really encourages the kids to hunt as well. It's not that I'm not in the woods every weekend, it's just that I'm not hunting like I want, hunting mobile. It's more like babysitting now! Lol but hopefully I'm making hunting partners for life. Because we all know how hard it is to find the right hunting partners. Plus I rather see them kill than me. So it's not that I'm not hunting as much, just hunting different.

Re: RE: Howdy!

Doofy said:
Just wanted to stop in and say hello and thanks to all the users for posting so much useful information. I've been lurking on here the past couple weeks reading up on saddle stuff. Finally bit the bullet this morning and ordered a New Tribe Aero Hunter Evolution. I spend a stupid amount of time in the woods so I'm hoping this makes my trips in a little less painful on the deep treks in the public grounds of Maryland.

Is this the same piebald deer slayer made famous in the dead lions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Howdy!

Erniepower said:
Doofy said:

Is this the same piebald deer slayer made famous in the dead lions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sure is! Great to hear from ya! How have you been?

Back