• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HSS tree rope size for ropeman 1

KYhunter66

SH Member
Any one now what size rope the HSS 8ft tree tether is? Is it ok for ropeman 1

It has a VERY soft outer sheath. I'd be real wary about putting a ropeman on there, especially the 1. If you induce even a little drop it could potentially skin that soft sheathed rope.

I used HSS with a RM1 last season with no issues. Highly recommend backing ANY mechanical device up with a prussik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It should be emphasized, ABOVE the ropeman is where you'd want your prussiks, with this set up. That way if the ropeman skinned the friction hitch might still catch you.

I had RM1 on mine at ground level, but was very skeptical. Put it back on my full body harness and used a line I know to be safe with RM1 for saddle.

I had RM1 on mine at ground level, but was very skeptical. Put it back on my full body harness and used a line I know to be safe with RM1 for saddle.

What made you skeptical about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was worried the outer sheath would separate / slide if I fell or slipped with my weight against it, and the HSS rope just doesn't feel the same as other rope I have used with rope grabs. And lastly, I don't have enough experience to be a DIYer yet, so I tend to err on the side of caution, use something I KNOW is safe for rope grab use.

Thanks for the advice would this rope from REI be better and have a figure 8 ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191024-114935_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191024-114935_Chrome.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the advice would this rope from REI be better and have a figure 8 ?

This is what I use, probably cheaper from @DanO than from REI and you're supporting a small business saddle hunter. He has 9 and 10 mm.

Back