• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunt stand VS OnX

Shane6491

So I’ve only used onX a little bit. Didn’t find it all that great. Downloaded hunt stand and loved it so far. Debating on going premium on one of them. I really like the
moon/weather and wind features on HuntStand. Also seems that you get way more free features with HuntStand out of the gate. I had sent my phone off to get worked on and forgot to sync my hunt stand up. So basically going to be starting over here directly on one or the other maybe something else. What do y’all use ? What do ya like/dislike about certain apps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each have some pros and cons. Don’t like how the image changes on OnX as you zoom. Huntstand is good but it’s not as seamless if you want to jump to topo, overlay, etc real quick, but some of the mapping is more detailed... the biggest thing that keeps me using OnX primarily is offline mapping.

Huntstand requires a login, I believe. So all of your stuff should still be there as long as you have the email address you signed up with. You can log into their website to verify.

I tried OnX and just didn't get into it. I use Huntstand pretty heavily and have purchased the premium version. That said, I think it may come down to the fact that my hunting buddies all use Huntstand, and we hunt 99% private.

I think I'm going to try Huntstand. I've used the free version but I think I'll try the Pro version. Onx has to be purchased by the state and it costs nearly $100 for multiple states. Huntstand is about $25 and covers all the states I'm interested in.

Last edited:
Huntstand requires a login, I believe. So all of your stuff should still be there as long as you have the email address you signed up with. You can log into their website to verify.

I tried OnX and just didn't get into it. I use Huntstand pretty heavily and have purchased the premium version. That said, I think it may come down to the fact that my hunting buddies all use Huntstand, and we hunt 99% private.
Yeah I never backed up my stuff tho I was always out of service range at camp using it mostly. So there for It never saved It. But don’t matter now. I need to go out and scout more anyways so I’ll just re map everything. I just purchased the premium so I’ll continue to update things I like/dislike about it.

I use both, they each have their pro like others have said. IMO I primarily use the free version of hunt stand for local property and weather updates. I primarily use ONX for all of my scouting and public land use local and when I go out west. I have the premium version of OnX and use it ALL the time. Don't think you will go wrong with either.

I would take a look at Gaia GPS. Lots of layers including private/public ownership that you can overlay and change priorities and transparency of. Think I pay $40/year. I also have nationwide OnX, but my go to is Gaia.

I use both of these apps religiously Onx for property lines, tracking myself, way points and ease of layer switching. I use Huntstand for the weather forecast, its not bad for way points tho. Just prefer Onx. In my opinion Scoutlook should have never merged with Huntstand, Scoutlook was a much better all around hunting app.

I think I'm going to try Huntstand. I've used the free version but I think I'll try the Pro version. Onx has to be purchased by the state and it costs nearly $100 for multiple states. Huntstand is about $25 and covers all the states I'm interested in.

Just FYI, camo fire regularly has OnX for 40% off. Like $64 shipped (they shop you a promo/access code)

Still a bit more than huntstand, which I see promos regularly for 20% off of also.

I use both like I said, just throwing out discount for those interested

Back