• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunt Wednesday or Thursday? (see weather chart)

raisins

SH Member
Jan 17, 2019
What do you guys think? This would be an evening sit starting 10 am or later. Wednesday and Thursday both have precipitation in the morning and clearing in the afternoon with Wednesday having much more. Wednesday has the weather dropping during the day. Thursday gets colder than Wednesday but Thursday is the second day of lower temperatures and Thursday follows the more typical pattern of it warming a bit during the day.

I guess the question might come down to: when temperature decreases over the course of two days, is it better to hunt the first day that temperature drops or wait and hunt the coldest day?

woodsdog2

SH Member
Jun 28, 2019
On my trail cams deer activity always increases with major temperature changes down. Hunt both if you can but If you cannot, I would shoot for Wednesday. That's a pretty significant drop right off the bat.

catman529

Jan 14, 2018
If you can hunt both days hunt both. If you have to pick a day I think Thursday looks better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

elk yinzer

SH Member
Oct 23, 2017
State College, PA
I would say kinda either/or. Wednesday looks to me like timing will be everything if the front moves past and the air dries up in time, I like that. If Wednesday afternoon is still misty and wet I find the deer tend to hunker down. Thursday looks good. I wouldn't overlook Tuesday, even with warmer temps I've seen great deer movement right in advance of a strong front.

Kurt

Nov 1, 2018
Massachusetts
Eany meany miney mow. Wed. I like the initial temp drop on Wed. but like the lower temp on Thurs. Rising pressure both days.Also the amount of rain Wed. early might keep them bedded until it lets up and stops. The half an inch forcasted for Wed isn't a gully washer by any means but its more than the forcast for Thurs. You know those animals feel the changes in pressure, so what elk yinzer said is solid as well.

HappyChappy

SH Member
May 19, 2019
When in doubt, hunt both! I think normally as soon as cool weather starts to roll in is usually your best bet. Which in this case might be Wednesday. The first day of any dramatic shift in pressure, temp, and/or a big drop in wind speed is usually the ticket. If it’s not a blood trail covering downpour, I’d aim for Wednesday but Thursday the temp won’t rise as much during the day and should facilitate good movement. Just my two cents. Also, I’ve noticed that as soon as a steady rain clears, they’ll move to feed—and it’s usually on foliage (think ag fields, food plots, etc.). They will be ready to come out of cover and get out in the open to eat. Just my two cents.

will4554

Oct 29, 2018
Wednesday. Both would be good, but the first day of a 20-degree temp drop is the best day. The deer have adjusted to the temp so to speak after that. Some kind of big wind speed or direction change combined with the drop is also solid. So to make a short story long, Wednesday, again lol.