• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting camp and acreage in north central PA-Elk State Forest

TommyDee

Not sure if this is allowed by the mods, but here goes...I’m the last hunter left in my family,just a recreational suburban NJ hunter. I’m from Pittsburgh suburbs, and my maternal grandfather (carpenter), dad, and uncle built the deer camp themselves with friends like they did back in the day, i think late 70s/early 80s. Mom and uncle need to sell it as they get older, and sadly my generation has no use for it, we all live too far away, and I’m the only one that hunts. They are both saints for keeping it going all these years, sadly my generation hasn’t taken it on. It is on the market now under whitetail properties, search driftwood, PA. The guy selling went to my high school, friends with my sister, seems like a good guy.

I’m not allowed to post links here, I see a lot of PA guys on here, I just really want it to see it go to hunters, and not land speculators. some of the PA guys are doing quite well on podcasts as such, would love to see it go to them (Clint Campbell, Beau Martonik, etc). Not sure if any of them are on here, or if any of you know them all. I’ll probably ping the THP guys too, why not. I’d be willing to buy in up to 20% with a group, but that’s as much as i could chew off. Any serious interest, you can reach out to the realtor, or PM me and i can give some of the facts of the property, history, etc. Camp still has furniture, and huge topo of Elk forest, Pittsburgh Post Gazette stories, with pictures of 10 guys and a full meat pole, etc. Basically, the old guys hunted the property/fields, all able bodies would hunt surrounding public, bear season was for scouting/shooting in rifles, some guys stayed up all season from thanksgiving to Xmas. Great memories. I was last there Spring of 2021, at that time there was elk sign, on the property, and seems they are still there.

Last edited:
PA state record Elk was just shot. Man PA is turning into a great Elk state. I should start putting in for points, not sure why I haven't.

Now that'll get a guy dreaming. Tempting, but my brothers trying to convince me to consider a place in Alaska... Not nearly as accessible though...

I've been on the market to buy for several years. I passed on a few properties 3 years ago that I wish I hadn't. Of course now they cost $150k more than they did 3 years ago.

I really would consider buying a hunt club with the right people.

Back