• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Ethics Question

SecretAgentMan

So, I've hunted public land probably as much or more than private land over the years. Lots of map scouting because some of the places I hunt are farther from home than I can actually set foot on to scout before a multi-day hunting trip.

On one particular trip a few years ago, a hunting buddy and I had found a huge thicket that was maybe a 1.5 mile walk from where we could park a truck. The thicket sat maybe 150 yards from the boundary that butted up against some private land that looked to us from the map that it had probably been used to grow beans that previous year. Pretty small field, 15-20 acres. Our plan was to set up in between the thicket and that boundary. Seemed like a solid plan to us. Once we got back in there, we found out pretty quick that it was not a old bean field but was a food plot with corn feeders set near the boundary on the private land side. We packed in that evening, set up our climbers and planned to be back the next morning for an all day sit. I'd say my tree was 50 yards from the boundary. Buddy's was 75 yards or so back into the thicker stuff.

Fast forward to the next morning. I've barely gotten settled, and a flashlight comes on coming in from the private land side. Guy asks my name. I figured it was the game warden. Then, proceeds to cuss me up one side and down the other about hunting the line and killing "his" deer that he's been feeding all year. Mind you, I'm well within the boundary and hardly "right on the line". Not like I was in bow range of his corn feeder, although I could make it and the field out through the woods. Anyway, I told the guy I'd move back deeper into the thicket if that makes him happy. I should mention the guy has his rifle on his shoulder. I'm 20' up the tree. I'm not arguing with the guy to piss him off any more. Given, I was carrying, legally. But I'm not escalating the situation and getting myself or someone shot over a hunting spot. I probably should've pointed out to him that the public land was bowhunting only and him having that rifle in there was against the law, but I left it alone.

So, I get down. Go find my buddy and explain. He could hear something going on, but didn't know what was happening. I moved my stand. The guy proceeds to drive up and down his property line shooting off his .22 (pistol I presume), with the intent of ruining our hunt. We find somewhere else to hunt the rest of the trip.

Was I in the wrong, ethically, at all? I know that legally, I had the right to be where I was. It kind of shook me up the rest of the trip. I certainly don't want to infringe on someone else. Seemed to me that if you own land right next to 150,000+ acres of public land, it's assumed that people are hunting right across the line.

So, I've hunted public land probably as much or more than private land over the years. Lots of map scouting because some of the places I hunt are farther from home than I can actually set foot on to scout before a multi-day hunting trip.

On one particular trip a few years ago, a hunting buddy and I had found a huge thicket that was maybe a 1.5 mile walk from where we could park a truck. The thicket sat maybe 150 yards from the boundary that butted up against some private land that looked to us from the map that it had probably been used to grow beans that previous year. Pretty small field, 15-20 acres. Our plan was to set up in between the thicket and that boundary. Seemed like a solid plan to us. Once we got back in there, we found out pretty quick that it was not a old bean field but was a food plot with corn feeders set near the boundary on the private land side. We packed in that evening, set up our climbers and planned to be back the next morning for an all day sit. I'd say my tree was 50 yards from the boundary. Buddy's was 75 yards or so back into the thicker stuff.

Fast forward to the next morning. I've barely gotten settled, and a flashlight comes on coming in from the private land side. Guy asks my name. I figured it was the game warden. Then, proceeds to cuss me up one side and down the other about hunting the line and killing "his" deer that he's been feeding all year. Mind you, I'm well within the boundary and hardly "right on the line". Not like I was in bow range of his corn feeder, although I could make it and the field out through the woods. Anyway, I told the guy I'd move back deeper into the thicket if that makes him happy. I should mention the guy has his rifle on his shoulder. I'm 20' up the tree. I'm not arguing with the guy to piss him off any more. Given, I was carrying, legally. But I'm not escalating the situation and getting myself or someone shot over a hunting spot. I probably should've pointed out to him that the public land was bowhunting only and him having that rifle in there was against the law, but I left it alone.

So, I get down. Go find my buddy and explain. He could hear something going on, but didn't know what was happening. I moved my stand. The guy proceeds to drive up and down his property line shooting off his .22 (pistol I presume), with the intent of ruining our hunt. We find somewhere else to hunt the rest of the trip.

Was I in the wrong, ethically, at all? I know that legally, I had the right to be where I was. It kind of shook me up the rest of the trip. I certainly don't want to infringe on someone else. Seemed to me that if you own land right next to 150,000+ acres of public land, it's assumed that people are hunting right across the line.

I would've called the warden. Hunter harassment. You could literally hunt 5 feet from the property line. Had a landowner do something similar years ago. I got twisted up walking out one evening because I forgot my light, found his posted sign boundary and walked the line on the public side out. Him and his wife were waiting at the parking area, saw me dip out of the woods and starts inbreaking my chops. Even though I was on public side, I still apologized, explained the situation. He was still a jerk. When he saw anyone parked in the parking area, he would ride his quad up and down the road periodically cooking off a couple rounds & whooping & hollering. I had enough one evening, so when my buddy & I get back to the parking area, there him & his wife are. This time I was not so cordial & reminded him that he had no idea who we were, but we knew who he was, exactly where he lived, etc. I also let him know that one more instance was going to result in a call to the warden. Never had another issue with this particular guy

Last edited:
Well, those were my initial thoughts, too. I do think I was right to de-escalate, given the situation and my own vulnerability. And yes, in hindsight, I should've called the warden. This was federal land NWR land.

I routinely hunt property lines. I would have done exactly as you did. Arguing with somebody who is carrying is the height of stupidity, whether it's with a hunter or a warden. Stay calm, be civil, deescalate, and take notes. Hash it out like an adult later when the guns are in the safe.

I'd definitely look into figuring out who he was and let the warden know about him. He sounds like a problem, and not just to you and your buddy. Next guy that comes along may not be as cool-headed and things could get ugly. Or he just keeps bullying people off of legally huntable land. A friendly visit from a game officer to remind him what the rules are may set him straight.

Or it may not. I don't know what I'd do in the scenario. I'd hate to lose a good spot knowing I was right and he was a jerk, but I'd hate to be dead or in cuffs too.

Well within your right IMO. Good for you for not starting a brewha. I would definitely let the area authorities know what went on. Your decision as to go back or not, but ethically IMO it's not an issue, based on your description of your location in relation to his property. I'd hunt it.

Given this was maybe 3 years ago at this point, I figure it's too late for the federalis to want to do anything about it. I may never hunt the spot again. Yeah, someone else will. And I'm sure someone had before me. That's why he had a bee in his bonnet about it. All good tips. It's just something that has always bothered me and wondered what others' perspectives might be.

I had a kinda similar situation play out, but with a happier ending.

There is a local WMA that has a small out parcel that is heavily hunted. But it is adjacent to a large tract of very well managed (8 point or better) private. I know it like the back of my hand. Have literally seen every square foot of it over the last 10 years. I have brought 4 rack bucks off of it, and missed 3 more. Add in hogs, squirrels, and ducks, and it brings a lot of joy to my life.

The property is long and skinny, and a very nasty swamp runs up the middle of it. All the pressure is on one side. The strip that runs between the swamp and the private is barely 100 yards wide, but a couple of miles long. No pressure because access is a bear. Over the years I have found how to access it. That's where all the deer are. Most of my animals get killed while I'm looking at blue paint. Cutting it close, but 100% legal.

One of the guys high up in the club found out about me. Started trying to "catch" me when I was out squirrel hunting. Would wait by my truck, or call the warden to come out and wait for me. Borderline hunter harassment stuff. We had several conversations. I was sweet, he was sour. He let me know there was no hunting or hunter access allowed through the club. I'd smile and tell him I knew exactly where the boundaries were. You know, the blue paint on the trees and the yellow WMA signs? Yep, I'd walked the line and knew exactly where it was.

He "caught" me walking out of the woods with ducks one day. Thought I'd got them out of their pond. Asked me where I got them. I told him WMA. He asked where. I laughingly told him that if I told him, I'd have to kill him (standard answer when folks get pushy about my spots). He didn't care for that. Warden conveniently showed up while we were still talking. Mr. Man was tickled with himself. You could see "got'im" in his eyes.

Warden got out. We talked a bit. He said I had a fine limit of ducks. Asked to see my licenses. Checked my gun for a plug, and asked me if I had any lead on me. Took my word at "no" and went on chit chatting about the migration. After 10 minutes or so, he looked the other guy dead in the eye and said, yall have a nice day.

Haven't had an issue since then. I honestly expected a busted window for a while though.

No, IMO you did nothing wrong. You did the right thing given the situation. Could you have called the law, sure, but how much more time would have been wasted dealing with that when you were already limited on time. The guy was obviously simple and probably truly felt you were taking "his" deer, knuckle dragers like him are the type that give hunters a bad rap. Good job taking the high road! Did you score at all the rest of the trip??

You did nothing wrong ethically at all. I have quite a few friends that intentionally buy small to medium plots of land along public property so they can hunt the public also. I've considered it also. I also have one friend that did just the opposite and bought his property surrounded by private. Told me he used to have some property next to public and always had people sneaking in on him and tearing up his property (that's not cool). I guess I'm trying to say when you buy next to public you have to expect guys are going to hunt the line. If that's where the deer are that's where I'd be.

No, IMO you did nothing wrong. You did the right thing given the situation. Could you have called the law, sure, but how much more time would have been wasted dealing with that when you were already limited on time. The guy was obviously simple and probably truly felt you were taking "his" deer, knuckle dragers like him are the type that give hunters a bad rap. Good job taking the high road! Did you score at all the rest of the trip??
Not that trip. When I got home, on the other hand...

Were you wrong?! Hell no. Screw that guy. I'd call the CO on him. You can hunt right on the line and there isn't a thing he can do about it. You were well within your right to hunt where you were.

If you were on the border facing his land I would say he had every right to be upset but sounds like you were respectful and set up well behind the property line. You did nothing wrong and the guy should be turned in for hunter harassment. Many states have pretty strict laws on this. I have seen guys posting public land extending their own land in remote areas. A firm talk with a warden will set this guy straight. If not keep turning him in till it does because he will just mess with other people in the future if you let him get away with it.

You were on public land obeying the law, you were well within your rights.

Those weren't "his" deer, they belong to the people of the state, end of story.

I'd grab his info off Onx and give the game warden a call, no telling what might happen to the next guy who doesn't have as cool of a head as you.

I appreciate the feedback. Of course, I thought I was in the right. As far as turning him in, it was several years ago, 200 miles from home. I don't know if it's worth the effort at this point. Although, should I ever hunt there, or any similar setup, ever again, I'll be a little better prepared and will contact ol' Johnny Law. Even on public land, I personally wouldn't hunt dead on the line, facing another guy's property, particularly right over his corn feeder.

Hunt naked. Usually resolves moral and ethical dilemmas for me. I suspect he’s probably not as interested in looking up while yelling at you. And should it come to fisticuffs, no one wants to fight a naked guy.

I’d move on with my life and hunt elsewhere. I’m not in the business of having any person with a gun angry at me. Regardless of right and wrong and morals and ethics. Bullets kill stuff and don’t care who’s right. If calling the fuzz helps ya sleep at night do it to it.

Back