• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Feeding Fields

How far back from an ag field food source do you set up?

• Literally on the edge of the field

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 5-10 Yards back from a corner enterance to the field

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-20 Yards Back

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 20 or More Yards Back

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I ignore the fields and look for something else competely

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

BlackpowderGuy (AJHS)

SH Member
One of the public areas I hunt has great late season food fields, planted with brassicas. The woods around the fields are incredibly thick with vines, brambles, thorny things and other thick stuff that is truly nearly impenetrable. I am trying to see what other people do to hunt fields...

Depends on what they’re doing, and what they do varies… my hunts are from open field all the way back to 500 yards where I think they’re bedding in relation to that field, and any good travel in between. Most often it’s the travel corridor. Most open field hunts are doe oriented, although bucks visit occasionally especially the colder it is.

Seems like our bucks go nocturnal in two seconds flat around here. Back off 100 yards from the ag edge on a transition strip of cover or some other security.

If it’s super cold late season they’re gonna be closer to the ag edge and hit it way earlier so you may want get a ground blind out in the ag ahead of time or find a lone tree you can shoot the edge from and climb that early.

Back