• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting From Large Diameter Trees

farmlegend

May 28, 2014
As an 18-year saddle hunting veteran, I have always hunted from trees small enough in diameter that I can wrap my tether around the tree while hunting, according to manufacturer's instructions.

It would be quite useful to me if I were able to hunt from larger diameter trees, if for no other reason than to reduce my chances for getting sight-busted by deer. I have some wonderful hunting spots on my farm that I could utilize if I could hunt these larger trees with my saddle.

Take a look at this video:
In particular, beginning at the 8:24 mark, John E is shown suspended from his tree at hunting height WITHOUT his tether wrapped around the tree. I find this option to be very intriguing. I would be interested in remarks from those who have figured out how to saddle hunt from these larger diameter trees. Pics of attachment methods would be great!

Bowmanmike

Dec 15, 2019
You must be talking about giant trees if you cant get your tether around the trunk.at hunting height. I carry a webbing loop to add to my tether or platform if i have to. I used it once so far and i hunted some big oaks.

farmlegend

May 28, 2014
You must be talking about giant trees if you cant get your tether around the trunk.at hunting height. I carry a webbing loop to add to my tether or platform if i have to. I used it once so far and i hunted some big oaks.
They are pretty good diameter trees. Nonetheless, I'm specifically interested in the methodology shown in the video, ie., attaching to the tree without wrapping the tether around it. Obviously some hunters have found a way to do this.

Holt

May 13, 2017
From what I remember him doing was he used 2 T screws from Cranford. He would screw one in at his anchor point of where he wanted his tether hight to be. Then a 2nd one lower and off to the side, about a foot away. He would loop over the top one then tie off to the bottom one. Think that way it would spread the pressure points to 2 anchors and in case of failure, you would hope the other one would save you. That's a do at your own risk type thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
Sep 11, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
From what I remember him doing was he used 2 T screws from Cranford. He would screw one in at his anchor point of where he wanted his tether hight to be. Then a 2nd one lower and off to the side, about a foot away. He would loop over the top one then tie off to the bottom one. Think that way it would spread the pressure points to 2 anchors and in case of failure, you would hope the other one would save you. That's a do at your own risk type thing.

Your absolutely right!!

Reactions: Holt

farmlegend

May 28, 2014

I have heard similar. Would love to see a pic of this.
Would like to see how much lower the side t-screw is. What kind of t-screw(Cranford has two sizes)? Same size?
Have also heard i-bolts were employed.

Holt

May 13, 2017
Would like to see how much lower the side t-screw is. What kind of t-screw(Cranford has two sizes)? Same size?
I have no idea. It was posted on here with alot of details at one time, but that was 3 or 4 years ago. I'm sure if you search on here some pics will pop up. It has to do with the sling he was using at the time. It had a large webbing strap. I can't remember a whole alot about. I know back in the day I had done stuff similar to hang a lock on in a tree that was too big. I put a screw in step on each side of tree and wrapped the cam strap around them. Definitely wasn't the smartest thing I've done before.

Reactions: farmlegend

Bowmanmike

Dec 15, 2019
What is the point of not going around the trunk? I don't get it. Why the extra work?

Chrighton

SH Member
Oct 7, 2017
SE Michigan
If you have rapel setup you have plenty of rope to go around a huge tree. Thats what I do. It can be frustrating physically getting it around a large tree, but typically can be accomplished in a few tries.
Good cover in large trees.

Reactions: Wirrex

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Aug 17, 2016
NW Michigan
I think this is the post referred to. As @Holt said, this is definitely a try at your own risk thing. I'm definitely a full girth hitch around the tree proponent.

Reactions: farmlegend

Tapeworm

SH Member
Feb 19, 2018
That’s the right thread

Reminds me that I never followed up with looking into this for some huge live oaks here in FL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loopwing

SH Member
Mar 10, 2020
Virginia
Would a 3/8 lag eyebolt with a carabiner work as an anchorage point for your saddle?I say 3/8, because it would be the same size as the treehopper hand drill.

Bigterp

Staff member
SH Member
Sep 11, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Would a 3/8 lag eyebolt with a carabiner work as an anchorage point for your saddle?I say 3/8, because it would be the same size as the treehopper hand drill.
There are a lot of things that could cause immediate failure as your “only connection point” that’s why it’s not common practice.....

Reactions: Hunter260

Noonespecial

Dec 10, 2019
You can find the thread on here about how he does it and this is a pic from that thread. He recommended not using tree steps it was just for demonstration. He uses two extra long Cranford T screws but I have seen him do it with nail spikes also. I believe he mainly does this for a quick hook up process.

Attachments

• F2D8967C-9A22-439D-B543-AA6211859173.jpg
    F2D8967C-9A22-439D-B543-AA6211859173.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 34

Loopwing

SH Member
Mar 10, 2020
Virginia
I was just spit balling. I would think a Grade 8 3/8 or 5/8 lag eye would be far from the weakest point in the system. I mean it is probably safer than doing any of the climbing you did to get to that point. If my tether doesn't reach around the tree, then for sure my lineman's belt is not going to reach while I am climbing.