• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting mobile with tree saddle & ghillie suit

kidneystones_3000

I hunt in South East Wisconsin some of the habitat hunt in is a combination marsh woods and farm land. Thier is more hunting pressure because i live near Milwaukee. Here is the situation encounter when scouting i find deer sign that is really good but it very hard or impossible to hunt from a tree even with a tree saddle because thier is so much brush i have sometimes i can only get a 15yd shot because so thick. I hunt mostly small parcels 500 acre or less and 100% public land ( i do hunt larger parcels up North). I was not able to scout this spring because i sprained my ankle and alot of family obligations but i did some find new locations that really but i didn't scout yet. The deer ratio of county i hunt is 18 deer per square mile and 1.8 bucks per square mile.

I plan on buying a ghillie suit that fits in my back so i am ready on the ground when necessary. I enjoy hunting from the tree more and this would the first Year hunting on the ground ( i am in my late 40s). I learned this method from the podcast the truth from a stand and the guy from the hunting public who's tall and curly hair. I also plan on using a Montana doe deer decoy the one has head on the ground and is feeding .
1) my question is this what is a ghillie suite that fits well in my back pack and i can use cold weather , that also good camfloge for both marshes habitat and using in the woods. That would also fit over regular camafloge suite.I never used a ghillie suite before so it will be my first time ever.

If anyone hunts this style that has advise for me let me know. With the type of land i hunt and the situations find myself in it seems the only way to hunt now.

Last edited:
What kind of ghillie suit are you looking for? One that’s all fabric or one that is a mesh with attachable grass. I use redhead ghillie suit From bass pro for hunting but it’s all fabric with printed 3D camo on it tends to tear real easy.

If you bow hunt, consider getting one without, or removing/trimming the stuff from that side of your chest/inner arm so it doesn’t interfere with your string.
Thanks i mostly bowhunt l would never hunt on the ground during gun season to dangerous on public land in my opinion.

What kind of ghillie suit are you looking for? One that’s all fabric or one that is a mesh with attachable grass. I use redhead ghillie suit From bass pro for hunting but it’s all fabric with printed 3D camo on it tends to tear real easy.
I never used one before so i am trying to find one that meats most of my cryteria i am clue less to be honest .

Funny....that's what I'm messing with today. I got the guide gear 1 from sportsmansguide. It is mesh with yarn sewn on. I dont expect it to last 10 years but if I careful with it I'm sure it will last a 2-3 seasons....it does make u hot. Comes in a mesh carry sack. Trimming the bow arm is a must
20200703_121147.jpg
20200703_121218.jpg20200703_121229.jpg20200703_121241.jpg

Works pretty good if u ask me

20200703_121206.jpg

Stuff sac

20200703_133821.jpg

Last edited:
Funny....that's what I'm messing with today. I got the guide gear 1 from sportsmansguide. It is mesh with yarn sewn on. I dont expect it to last 10 years but if I careful with it I'm sure it will last a 2-3 seasons....it does make u hot. Comes in a mesh carry sack. Trimming the bow arm is a must
View attachment 29659
View attachment 29660View attachment 29661View attachment 29662

Works pretty good if u ask me

View attachment 29663
Only issue I have with the yarn ones is wearing them walking in before you know it you’ll be hung up in twigs and briers but that suit does look real good.

Agreed.....I plan on carrying in the stuff sac and suiting up once I found a spot. Would not be good for walking around in

What I did with the 3D leafy suit I have is both a size over what I needed. And another helpful tip I’d recommend buying some suspenders for the bottoms all the ghillie bottoms I’ve personally had are made extremely high waist and tend to slip down and you bust out the crotch in them.

Ok thanks for the advice do think i could wear it over my hunting suite
For sure...the pants are big and billowy...top fits a little more snug with the elastic sewn in but it wouldn't be a problem for me to fit it over the heaviest clothes I have.....my heavy clothes are obvious different than ur heavy clothes so i only can speculate

Hunting in Florida, the thread based ghillies really hold in the heat. Last year I tried a kill suit, which is made out of a mesh fabric, super light and allows air flow and only cost about $75 bucks. It also doubled as a mosquito jacket, similar to a bug tamer. Plenty roomy to pull on when ready over your regular clothes. I did do some trimming on my left arm and chest to keep the bowstring clear. Killed a small buck at 18yds last year from the ground so was really pleased! Had lots of opportunities under 25yds on does from the ground too but they were all with spotted fawns still so didn't try.

Kill Suit Ghillie

Kill suit is the answer to anything you want a ghillie suit for that involves being mobile, packing light, and not screwing around. Take the time to shave the strands on inside of your bow arm. Besides that, you’re ready to roll. If you’re hunting bare ground under trees, get the long one without pants. If you’re hunting brush that comes to at least your knees, just use a jacket.

From my xp thread based are best. My advice would be to make one, or build one up. Get you one off feebay and start adding to it. If you want it to last get a size up so it can move around. Pay attention to contact areas and reenforce.

Do what you will with the ghillie suit, but one needs to train one’s mind and body too. I have a ghillie suit and I have sat motionless whilst deer were around. I attributed it to the ghillie suit.

Since that time, I have been at ground level, in the open, with no camo (khaki pants, olive drab shirt, external pack frame, orange vest) with three deer around me. They were alerted and got within 10 yards of me. I had good wind. But I stood still like a statue and did not look them directly in the eyes. It felt like eternity, but was about 20 to 30 minutes tops.

They fed around me, then eventually moved away, and I set up.

They came back to the tree I was set up in. None the wiser.

I attribute it to be quiet and still.

Yes, get the best gear you can buy, and also train your mind and body the best way you know how. Gear will be never overcome a shortfall with one’s mental discipline and physical training.

Best wishes on your success!

I am older but when i was young use like watching fred bear hunting videos. I enjoyed watching him with recurve bow hunting from ground. Today i like to watch the hunter from adrenaline whitetails who hunts ground i also like watch the tall guy with curly hair from hunting public who hunts from the ground. It takes alot skill hunt from ground on public land. I want to buy ghillie suite because my lack experience and skill. From experience some deer trails i see i cant even get a shot because lack options for trees and the brush very thick which creates very small shooting lanes. I enjoy hunting from my tree saddle alot more it's more enjoyable. Hunting vrom the ground is my last option. But in the end its about getting results

Last edited:
Kill suit is the answer to anything you want a ghillie suit for that involves being mobile, packing light, and not screwing around. Take the time to shave the strands on inside of your bow arm. Besides that, you’re ready to roll. If you’re hunting bare ground under trees, get the long one without pants. If you’re hunting brush that comes to at least your knees, just use a jacket.
I think i need both because hunt different terrains. Good advice

Hunting in Florida, the thread based ghillies really hold in the heat. Last year I tried a kill suit, which is made out of a mesh fabric, super light and allows air flow and only cost about $75 bucks. It also doubled as a mosquito jacket, similar to a bug tamer. Plenty roomy to pull on when ready over your regular clothes. I did do some trimming on my left arm and chest to keep the bowstring clear. Killed a small buck at 18yds last year from the ground so was really pleased! Had lots of opportunities under 25yds on does from the ground too but they were all with spotted fawns still so didn't try.

Kill Suit Ghillie
Do you know wear i can buy i will add to my list

Back