• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting out of state

Joe90

I have been hunting is Oklahoma going on 23 years would like to try an out of state hunt any suggestions would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t you border Kansas and SW Missouri. I wish I lived that’s close to great hunting. I gotta drive from Florida

I do I’m just not to good at find public land to hunt

A lot of states have public land maps you can access via the state F&W/DNR websites. Pair that with you favorite mapping software( google earth, OnX, etc.) and that would be a good spot to start. Hats what I’ve done for public lands here in KY

After just a few years of hunting neighboring states, I'm coming to some conclusions that could use a little validation.

Seems to me, in Michigan for example, the best public properties are labeled "state game areas" and are pretty hunter friendly. There are dedicated places to park. They are managed to provide hunting opportunities. These are usually great properties but get hammered during the height of hunting season, especially if an hour or less from population centers.

There are other public properties labeled "state forest" or "national forest" that are hit or miss. Sometimes they are giant parcels with lots of great spots, and sometimes they are just leftover untillable land no farmers wanted back when the gettin' was good. Often these leftover untillable spots are hard to hunt because there's nowhere to park reasonably close.

The states have different labels for the premium spots, learn them and seek them out.

I do I’m just not to good at find public land to hunt

I have researched some southeast KS and SW Missouri pub ground. Popular states, so most online research says same old story as far as hunting pressure. Long trip for me to test it myself and I go to Kentucky and Ohio and am happy for now. If you are close to the state line do some research and go explore a few spots, most internet searches say early season bow pressure is minimal as a lot of pressure comes from out of staters during rut, you are close enough to make a few trips and take advantage of that early season

My advice is to find an area you can get to fairly easily and be able to get to year after year, something that offers terrain that you're comfortable hunting in, and an area that offers multiple possible hunting spots.

Know that wherever you go, you're going to encounter other pressure. You're going to have to scout harder, wake up earlier, walk farther, sit longer, and hunt smarter, but all of that is why you're there and makes it that much sweeter when you connect.

Back