• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting releases

SemperFlightMedic

Just curious .... how many “shoot” with a handheld thumb/backtension release but hunt with an index finger release?

Been thinking about this a fair bit recently. It seems “we” shoot with handheld releases to increase accuracy through form, but often times hunt with a handheld. We know the release doesn’t make us more accurate; rather, it’s the mechanism by which we activate the release. And on that note, I activate an index finger release with back tension and not by squeezing with my finger. Now, I’m not a 300 / 30x’er but I shoot well, and i shoot the same with all three release types.

When it gets cold out, I’ll wear gloves. I don’t know about you, but I can’t shoot a handheld with a glove on. I’m not going to take the glove off to prepare to take a shot either. Not with the risk. What I can do is flip the index finger glove back to expose my finger, and take the shot.

So I ask myself, why even bother with anything I’m not going to hunt with?

What’s your take on shooting between two or more release types? Do you hunt with one and shoot targets with another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you should hunt with and practice with the same things, whenever possible and definitely during the season. I try not to wear gloves. I do on my bow arm once in a while to relieve the cold aluminum on my skin, but I hated shooting with a glove on because it made my release buckle adjustment inconsistent. I am not a competition shooter, rather I enjoy shooting because I like to bowhunt. Thus, I use a trigger release because I can keep it in my wrist while doing all hunting activities AND it’s simpler. I try to use back tension and finger-pad pressure to activate the release anyway, but I just don’t have the time or desire to 1) learn a more difficult release just to improve my groups by a small margin that, honestly, doesn’t need much improving at 2-3”/30 yards, and 2) figure out a way to lanyard/store it while I do actual hunting activities. I’m actually envious of those that do have the time and desire to do so because a decrease of 1-2” in groups would be dope, but I just don’t have it. It’s a TruFire Hurricane for me.

I believe you should hunt with and practice with the same things, whenever possible and definitely during the season. I try not to wear gloves. I do on my bow arm once in a while to relieve the cold aluminum on my skin, but I hated shooting with a glove on because it made my release buckle adjustment inconsistent. I am not a competition shooter, rather I enjoy shooting because I like to bowhunt. Thus, I use a trigger release because I can keep it in my wrist while doing all hunting activities AND it’s simpler. I try to use back tension and finger-pad pressure to activate the release anyway, but I just don’t have the time or desire to 1) learn a more difficult release just to improve my groups by a small margin that, honestly, doesn’t need much improving at 2-3”/30 yards, and 2) figure out a way to lanyard/store it while I do actual hunting activities. I’m actually envious of those that do have the time and desire to do so because a decrease of 1-2” in groups would be dope, but I just don’t have it. It’s a TruFire Hurricane for me.

A release in itself won’t change your groups. The alignment when using a handlheld “helps” facilitate a more stable platform. Consistency in form will tighten groups.

Thanks all, for your input.

Buy carbon you don't have to worry about cold aluminum. I will never wear gloves while bow hunting, had it slip once when I was a kid.

I "train as I fight", so I shoot year round with my index release. It's taken some dedication and discipline but I've forced myself to activate my index release with back tension every time for a surprise release. The last deer I shot I let my pin settle where I wanted it and the next thing I knew the arrow was already passing through him, I had no recollection of shot activation. It's definitely helped improve my consistency.

I "train as I fight", so I shoot year round with my index release. It's taken some dedication and discipline but I've forced myself to activate my index release with back tension every time for a surprise release. The last deer I shot I let my pin settle where I wanted it and the next thing I knew the arrow was already passing through him, I had no recollection of shot activation. It's definitely helped improve my consistency.

Yeah, I’ve been shooting for 20+ years, and in that time, in pursuit of accuracy and target shooting I started shooting back tension, then switched to a thumb release, all the while hunting with an index release. Nowadays I don’t shoot target archery, but I shoot the same groups with each release type, so I wonder why bother with anything other than what I “fight with”. Right?

I too have been through all the styles of release over the years but have settled on the carter chocolate addiction witch is hand -held, thumb activated. I ware light cotton gloves and usually keep my hands in my pockets or a muff but leave the release clipped to the string. I've killed them with all of them but that's what I feel the most comfortable with as far as control, accuracy and consistency.

Ive been hunting with an index release for as long as I can remember... back tension/thumb releases peaked my interest last year and I finally got one this past christmas. Ive played around with it a bit, but dont have the adjustments dialed in how I like and it changes my anchor point slightly on my jaw bone and didnt feel as solid as it does with an index release. Its probably just placebo effect but didnt want to chance it this season, so Im still using my index release. Maybe after I get some more time behind the thumb release Ill prefer it but only time will tell.

I too have been through all the styles of release over the years but have settled on the carter chocolate addiction witch is hand -held, thumb activated. I ware light cotton gloves and usually keep my hands in my pockets or a muff but leave the release clipped to the string. I've killed them with all of them but that's what I feel the most comfortable with as far as control, accuracy and consistency.
Same here tried a bunch of different releases and ends up with a chocolate addiction also. Always wear lightweight camo liner gloves. Love the way my release feels with gloves.

Index figure induces target panic easier because most are not able to shoot it with a surprise release mainly do to the longer trigger travel. I think that your trying to spin this to much. For most people a tension release will improve their groups when shot properly and help with target panic. There are a lot of different style wrist rockets and spring caliper will not be as accurate because the d loop doesn't come out of the caliper the same way every time. If you want a consistent wrist rocket you need a hook style that breaks like the fang wrist release or one where only one side of the jaw moves.

Yes you should hunt with what you practice with but you have zero argument to say that an index is just as accurate as a back tension.

Index figure induces target panic easier because most are not able to shoot it with a surprise release mainly do to the longer trigger travel. I think that your trying to spin this to much. For most people a tension release will improve their groups when shot properly and help with target panic. There are a lot of different style wrist rockets and spring caliper will not be as accurate because the d loop doesn't come out of the caliper the same way every time. If you want a consistent wrist rocket you need a hook style that breaks like the fang wrist release or one where only one side of the jaw moves.

Yes you should hunt with what you practice with but you have zero argument to say that an index is just as accurate as a back tension.
While I agree with pretty much everything you mentioned, I do disagree with the last sentence. I believe that and index style release can be just as accurate as a back tension release depending on the shooter. Back tension releases do help with target panic, however not everyone has target panic or to the same degree... some only see target panic while taking a shot on an animal and not just a block or hay bail. With the adjustability of index releases today and proper technique you can still get that "surprise" relase similar to a back tension release.
In my case, my accuracy decreased with a back tension release... I do chalk this up to being unfamiliar and unpracticed with it and Im sure will improve over time. As noted in my above post, it did change my hand/jaw anchor point and I was having problems keeping it consistent with a back tension release... again experience related. This is why I chose to stick with an index release because accuracy comes from repeatability... if you cant stay consistent with anchor points and release activation/follow through, you will never be accurate and dialed in. I say shoot with whatever release you have the best consitancy with... if youre most familiar, comfortable with a index release with consistent and repeatable accuracy then keep shooting it. But do "practice like you fight" and shoot the same relase pre season as you plan to use during season.

Back