• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting scope - 1st time buyer

NikoTheBowHunter

I just purchased my first hunting rifle, a 308. Now I need a scope for it and the local gun store had none on hand to check out. I know nothing about scopes other than what I’ve read online which recommends a magnification of 2.5-5 for deep woods hunting.

What’s y’alls recommendation on a Vortex hunting scope for deep/thickly wooded hunting (shots under 100 yards)? I want to stick with Vortex as I get half off due to my employment. That would give me a price range of up to $800 so $300-400 after discount.

Any tips/advice/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

I have the Winchester .308 VPR Scope combo with the Vortex 3-9x40. Good scope but if you can get half off discount then I'd look at the vortex crossfire 4-12x40 scope. I just had to zero my scope yesterday and it was tough seeing the target at 100 yards on the 3x. I had to go to 6x to accurately see my target. I may put a Leupold 4x12 scope on my 308.

Hunting in wooded timber like you mentioned, you don't want to go too big on your magnification. If a quick shot presents itself your better off with a 3-4 power setting on your scope instead of a higher setting. In my view a 2.5x7 or 3x9 is a good choice. Higher magnification equals more weight too. Very seldom will you ever need higher magnification. A good thing to remember is always keep your scope set at its lower settings because never know when a shot opportunity will present itself, keep both eyes open until you have your game (target) acquired in the scope and keep an eye on what's beyond the target.

Last edited:
3-9 would be my choice also. 50mm objective will help pull in light at dusk and dawn. Vortex Diamondback is great quality and reasonable price.

Where I hunt you can get by pretty reasonably with a 30-30 with iron sights. I switched from a 44 carbine to a 308 with a 3-9x40 Nikon scope and it has served me well for the past 4 years. I'll echo what others have said. I like to run dialed down to 3 power most of the time. In the rare occasion that I actually need to dial up to 6 or 9 power, there's a good chance I'll have the time to do so as opposed to the opposite.

As far as brands are concerned, I am very impressed with my vortex binos, if I were to go out today to get a new scope for my 308 it would be a vortex.

I like my 2.5-8 leupold vx3i. It cost twice what the diamondback does, but the clarity is much better and I’m glad I bought it.

I run vortex scopes. A 308 is a 500 yard rifle all day long. Not telling you to go shoot 500 yards, or to ever shoot 500 yards, BUT don't limit your rifle by the glass you put on top. Practice, practice, practice. 3x9 is a standard hunting scope. With all my hunting and fishing gear always get the best you can afford. Don't break the bank, but Cry once. If you can get a razor, do it. If your budget calls for a crossfire do that. You won't be disappointed either way, but you will enjoy the razor a lot more in the long run. A good scope will make a good rifle, great. A bad scope will make a great rifle, bad.

Diamondback FTW. Vortex has an amazing warranty and the scope is amazing as well. Can’t go wrong. Watch midway and optics planet; they regularly have deals

Am I the only person that thinks all these new firearms that dont have factory iron sights suck balls?

All the guns I've looked at lately have no way to aim without a scope and that not right IMO
My eyes aren’t what they used to be, I’m an optics guy by necessity not by choice

I can't remember the last time I used iron sights or didn't just remove them from a rifle completely. Scopes are a tool. Most rifle shots are 200+ yards or better. I aim for a 3 inch circle not a 9 inch vitals area shot. Iron sights on a deer at 200 yards is almost half the deer. Iron sights belong on bb, pellet, and short barrel brush guns.

Do you wear glasses? I am always shopping for optics based on eye relief, because if it doesn't work with my glasses it doesn't work that great for me, regardless of brand...

I think the advice you have read online (2.5-5X for deep woods) is pretty good. I tend to think most over scope their rifles in terms of power. For a given price point, you will get better quality glass at lower magnifications which translates to better clarity in low light. Lower power scopes also have a better field of view which helps you get on target quicker, important in thick brush where you may only have seconds to take a shot. And the fact is for the occasional 200 yard shot, a 4x is certainly workable. Unfortunately Viper does not have a lot in your price point. They have a 1.75-5x32 Diamondback you can pick up for around $150 (assuming you get similar discounts as I do) but the only other Vortex scopes with a similar power range are the AR Strike Eagle scopes. They may also work for you.

Vortex used to make some great 2-7x "tweaner" scopes in both the Diamondback and Viper lines, but apparently there was not enough interest. I have a 2-7x32 Viper with a Versa-Plex C3 that I picked up for my .308 for the same reasons as you. A great scope for the woods.

Good advice so far. I’ve tried quite a few scopes and still like my Nikon Prostaff the best. I hunt thick spots and 3x is too much. I now have a 2-7 and a 1-4 that I use.

Just wanted to make one other point. Don't buy a scope because you hunt one set of woods, match the scope to the rifle. How many times have you hunted on a buddy's land or hunted someplace new? I have made a ton of shots under 25 yards with a 3x9. The difference between 2 and 3 power is so small. I have shot deer under 25 yards and in the same weekend dropped another in his tracks at 397 yards with the same rifle/3x9 Nikon scope. If I was shooting a 2x7 I would have never tried the 397 yards. My black powder and slug gun both run 3x9 and I hunt in some very thick stuff when I am using my shotgun.

No, but I do like the bdc crosshair over the v-plex. The v-plex are really thick. I would call vortex and ask. I have talked to them in several occasions with good results and knowledge.

Thanks for the info gents. I dove a bitter further into the rabbit hole and came across one of Vortex's webpages that explains the different MOAs and what they are used for. Based on the reading, think I will just stick with the cheaper option as I dont plan on doing much long range shooting.

Back