• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hunting Vest with Hood

Piesquared87

Im looking into stepping up my layering game with the temp decrease and was wondering every ones cold weather kits.

Thin moisture wicking long sleeve shirt
Long sleeve wool shirt
Vest With a hood- (recommendations welcome)
Heavy Jacket
gloves and wool hat.

i only bow hunt and have noticed out side of the woods dressing putting a vest under a heavy jacket i have alot more mobility in my arms opposed to wearing 2 long sleeve shirts (thin & wool),then a hoodie, and then a Jacket. Idea is keep the warmth but increase the mobility.

I don't recall seeing any vests with hoods. Why do you want a hood? Myself, I prefer to not wear hoods. If you want a good vest for layering, check out Wiggy's vest liner, currently on sale for only $35.

I don't recall seeing any vests with hoods. Why do you want a hood? Myself, I prefer to not wear hoods. If you want a good vest for layering, check out Wiggy's vest liner, currently on sale for only $35.

Suplex vest looks interesting. I like the higher collar and it says it has a longer tail in the back.

X2 on not liking hoods. If its super cold and windy I'll put on a fleece baklava but never an attached hood. I always wear a fleece vest in colder weather, an el cheapo Bass Pro vest and it works great. Keeping your core warm is the key and less bulk in the arms is nice.

I have a Browning Shacket that I love. Primaloft insulation in the core, and uninsulated sleeves. Very quiet material, and good pockets. It gets worn a lot during archery season.

I dislike hoods, but I just found out that my Hells Canyon parka has elastic that lets the hood turn with your head. Still trying to get used to it, but I think I like it.

Suplex vest looks interesting. I like the higher collar and it says it has a longer tail in the back.
The vest liner is less bulky and has no collar due to being a liner. John E would like that. Lol!
The suplex vest has twice the insulation as the vest liner though. Depends on what you're looking for.

I have rotated a couple of Cabela's 650 fill goose down vests for years now. Can use it mid season over a long sleeve UA shirt or as a mid layer for colder weather. Very light weight, packable, and has been a key to keeping me warm in weather down to 12 below. Never leave home without one after mid October. Never had an issue shooting a bow with them either.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wear the North Face Men's Thermoball Vest and love it.
It packs away nicely when you don't need it. It does have a collar though. I paid around $70 for it.
I use a wool mix outer layer and use a military issue fleece liner as a mid layer. They pack up nicely too and can be had for around $35.
If it gets below 20 degrees I have to start stepping up my game with boot covers and handwarmers placed inside my clothing.
If it gets below 10 degrees I carry a walls brand coverall in camo to go over everything. If it gets colder than that I sit at home by the fire.

I hated hoods till I started wearing first lite stuff. There good are cut properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back