• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HuntStand app

GBlevins92

I've been using the hunt stand app for my public land spots and really like it just wondering how much to trust property boundaries I know they are not 100 percent but want to know if it's accurate enough for finding tracts of national forest land just don't want to trespass just curious what experience others have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the hunt stand app for my public land spots and really like it just wondering how much to trust property boundaries I know they are not 100 percent but want to know if it's accurate enough for finding tracts of national forest land just don't want to trespass just curious what experience others have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The app boundaries around my place and my neighbors are quite accurate, within a few feet, although I'm not sure how often they update. I wouldn't think public boundaries would change.
Maybe they can tell you how often the boundaries are updated Their customer service always responds, but there is a glitch in the timestamp on the graphs (online version) that they can't seem to fix. Mobile app graphs are correct.

They are typically not 100% but really close. The shape of the parcel is normally correct, and you can use it to figure things out. The data they use comes from your state or county GIS parcels, which is public information. For a single piece of property the surveyed plat is the most accurate and legal boundary. However, the GIS parcels are basically all plats and how they tie together but the lines can get slightly generalized or off. Here is an example from one of the public lands I hunt:
Screen_Shot_2017_12_20_at_8_50_06_AM.png

The yellow line is the GIS parcel the blue line is how the line is marked on the ground by the public game lands (following the logging road on the ridge). I would say that this is about avg accuracy for GIS on large parcels, some are more some spots less. The plat says the ridge-line is the property boundary the surveys then likely shot the highest, furthest points they could see in one setup because time is money. So in this case the parcel layer might be spot on what was surveyed or not, and the logging road does follow the ridge-line nearly perfectly but not everywhere.

There are several layers that could make "off" the GIS parcel layer, the aerial layer, the person on the ground marking it. All are trying to be as accurate as possible but if all three are off in different directions it compounds the issue when you put them all together in one image but normally they fall close, but again the plat and survey stakes are the real line, except when the plat says the line is a topological feature...like a ridge or river which can shift.

Hope that helps, and is as clear as mud. I tried to keep it simple without going into the inherent problems of mapping a round earth on a flat piece of paper. And the problems with private people pushing out their boundary line with signs, paint, fences a little every few years hoping no one notices.

a>

The app boundaries around my place and my neighbors are quite accurate, within a few feet, although I'm not sure how often they update. I wouldn't think public boundaries would change.
Maybe they can tell you how often the boundaries are updated Their customer service always responds, but there is a glitch in the timestamp on the graphs (online version) that they can't seem to fix. Mobile app graphs are correct.

Public lands can change frequently and rapidly. In my experience, they mostly grow, but depending on your state's politics of the moment could shrink. A piece of land I patrol has grown from ~17000 to ~20000 acres in about 3 years and gained ~1000 this past week and set up to get another 1000-4000 in the next few years. This area isn't open to hunting but the ~20000 acres that borders it is and it is also growing slowly.

That being said its up to the people to get your politicians to listen to us as hunters and outdoorsmen (and women) to set aside land to conserve and protect its resources. Finding public land to hunt nearby has been a challenge my whole hunting career.

your state's politics of the moment
Lately there has been some talk here about selling off some public land due to budget issues. My thinking was to make sure the app boundaries are updated so you don't end up on private property that was purchased recently. Sounds like defining what is actually legal to hunt on public land is the bigger issue once the boundaries are identified.

I am a Licensed Surveyor and work with this data often and I can tell you that the accuracy of this data varies wildly depending on your State/Counties mapping efforts. It's not uncommon in some of the States I work in for certain property lines to be off hundreds of feet, I have even seen entire parcels that are shown miles from their actual location (although that is rare).

The main thing is to trust your eyes over the 'digital boundary'. If you see marked boundaries (i.e. posted signs, painted lines, fence lines that appear to be boundaries) don't cross them because the software says the line is another 100' down the hill. The parcel data is almost always from your tax assessment office and it's intended purpose it to maintain a roll for levying taxes, it's not intended to take the place of a Boundary Survey. The assessment data is usually based off of deed measurements or plots and what most people don't realize is the measurements in a deed are only one piece of evidence, and typically aren't even the most important piece, in determining a boundary line location.

Luckily, most of the time public land is clearly marked (painted or posted) so using the software to scout, find areas to hunt, etc. is fine, just make sure you don't trust the software over property lines you see marked on the ground.

Back