• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"Hype Marketing"

skyjacker

SH Member
I hear a ton of grumbling going on every year around this time.

I'm not understanding how "hype marketing" or delays are ruining any ones day? Just don't let it annoy you. Don't do preorders if you don't want to give businesses your money to fund early projects. Wait till the product is actually in stock. Call and/or email before placing orders to see what the timelines of said items are. If they don't meet those deadlines get your money back. Don't wait till last minute to order gear. Have a backup plan in case your stuff doesn't come in.

I have multiple setups. I'm never without a way to hunt ... ever. I have a Waldrop Pacseat and Ghostblind setting on the sidelines ready to be used if need be, which has absolutely nothing to do with saddle hunting and still allows me to get in there and put meat on the table.

I get the fact that it may be an annoying way to do business. But everyone has the personal choice to buy into it or not. It just doesn't bother me, I like choices. Kickstarter's entire business model is based on consumer funding and they are worth 7 billion dollars ... it obviously works.

Someone convince me that I should care about this.

That’s the problem, it’s just hunting, it’s a way of life for me. The monotization of the industry and what’s it’s become is sickening. But hunting isn’t alone, fitness industry is the same. I get it. It marketing but I don’t buy in to it but it’s still not as bad as other peoples opinions. Says a guy giving an opinion lol

Hype marketing does really well for selling aesthetic. Because aesthetic is never anything of substance. It's just catering to shopaholics that get good feels brain chemicals from buying stuff. It's puffery. 99% of social media marketing is just aesthetic puffery. Aesthetic is fleeting, so nobody sticks around long enough to call BS.

I don't know why it does, but on a personal level the whole deal just annoys me deeply and I despise companies that engage in it. I think it's reflective of my overall thoughts on the status and direction of our society at large, as well as hunting.

Hype marketing does really well for selling aesthetic. Because aesthetic is never anything of substance. It's just catering to shopaholics that get good feels brain chemicals from buying stuff. It's puffery. 99% of social media marketing is just aesthetic puffery. Aesthetic is fleeting, so nobody sticks around long enough to call BS.

I don't know why it does, but on a personal level the whole deal just annoys me deeply and I despise companies that engage in it. I think it's reflective of my overall thoughts on the status and direction of our society at large, as well as hunting.
Very well said

When I say most people hunt to make other people like them, it’s not received well.

It’s a math problem:

Time and money spent funding a cutting edge technology or equipment or tactic to get better at hunting = large debt

Opportunity cost of doing the above, and not spending that time and money on hunting or with your family = large debt.

Negativity emotional and mental state of being disappointed when exactly what happens every time happens every time with the cutting edge = large debt.

Maybe getting some satisfaction telling other people you’re on the cutting edge = small asset.

Total -3 + .5 = -2.5 on the im a better hunter and person meter.

Or…..

Letting other people spend time and money funding a cutting edge technology or equipment or tactic to improve hunting ability = free.

Opportunity credit for not spending that time= significant asset.

Neutral emotional and mental state not worrying when the new thing will arrive or how bad it works = free.

Total 0 + 1= +1 on the I’m a better hunter and person meter.

Delta of 3.5, at a minimum, on the becoming a better hunter and person meter.

So when I see people doing it, then complaining about it, all I can think is that they’re doing it to make people like them. Because if you’re doing it to be a better hunter, you’re not doing a good job. And you really look like you’re trying hard and you care, so I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt! (The collective metaphorical you!) there must be a better explanation.

I will take part in some of the fund an idea things, because I think new ideas and the people who have them are cool. But I don’t get mad when exactly what I expect to happen with quality or delivery or customer service happens. Now that o have a kid - I’ll let you other fools fund the research. I’ll just check in every few months on gear tech to make sure there’s not been any breakthroughs!

I hear a ton of grumbling going on every year around this time.

I'm not understanding how "hype marketing" or delays are ruining any ones day? Just don't let it annoy you. Don't do preorders if you don't want to give businesses your money to fund early projects. Wait till the product is actually in stock. Call and/or email before placing orders to see what the timelines of said items are. If they don't meet those deadlines get your money back. Don't wait till last minute to order gear. Have a backup plan in case your stuff doesn't come in.

I have multiple setups. I'm never without a way to hunt ... ever. I have a Waldrop Pacseat and Ghostblind setting on the sidelines ready to be used if need be, which has absolutely nothing to do with saddle hunting and still allows me to get in there and put meat on the table.

I get the fact that it may be an annoying way to do business. But everyone has the personal choice to buy into it or not. It just doesn't bother me, I like choices. Kickstarter's entire business model is based on consumer funding and they are worth 7 billion dollars ... it obviously works.

Someone convince me that I should care about this.
Not ruining my day but I can tell you I lose practice time or interest it won’t go into the field with me and will either be relegated to the isle of misfit toys or catch and release. For instance I bought the Hunt Arsenal SlingR that showed in stock, got a confirmation email preparing to ship, didn’t ship for almost a month. It’s now in a Rubbermaid tote and it’ll never see a tree, not with me anyway. Realized I like the knee pads I have, didn’t practice with it, was frustrated with the company and don’t trust them for bigger purchases now.

Personally if something is a preorder I don’t expect it on time but I think that companies should put worst case dates not best case followed by excuses and delays. Maybe it’s my sales background but underpromise and overdeliver.

Kickstarter also works on the premise that the company needs the funds to make the product so the timeframe is unknown because you have Jimothy in Saddlebronc, WY with an idea, maybe a prototype, and if he gets the funds by x date he’ll HOPEFULLY find a manufacturer by x date and you could then get your product by x date.

I’m not taking a gamble on Jimothy, I’m buying from a supposedly reputable company who should have funds. Meet your deadlines. I’m expected to at my job, you need to at yours.

Not ruining my day but I can tell you I lose practice time or interest it won’t go into the field with me and will either be relegated to the isle of misfit toys or catch and release. For instance I bought the Hunt Arsenal SlingR that showed in stock, got a confirmation email preparing to ship, didn’t ship for almost a month. It’s now in a Rubbermaid tote and it’ll never see a tree, not with me anyway. Realized I like the knee pads I have, didn’t practice with it, was frustrated with the company and don’t trust them for bigger purchases now.

Personally if something is a preorder I don’t expect it on time but I think that companies should put worst case dates not best case followed by excuses and delays. Maybe it’s my sales background but underpromise and overdeliver.

Kickstarter also works on the premise that the company needs the funds to make the product so the timeframe is unknown because you have Jimothy in Saddlebronc, WY with an idea, maybe a prototype, and if he gets the funds by x date he’ll HOPEFULLY find a manufacturer by x date and you could then get your product by x date.

I’m not taking a gamble on Jimothy,
Meant it as a hypothetical, we all know the names of the companies we are doing preorder things from, they aren’t a kickstarter.

I’m not a fan of the preorder - particularly on first generation products.

As far as hype goes: it’s psychological manipulation. The modern world is full of it. If a product requires a gimmick to make sales it should make us all skeptical. Great innovations, craftsmanship and true game changers sell themselves.

I’m not taking a gamble on Jimothy, I’m buying from a supposedly reputable company who should have funds. Meet your deadlines. I’m expected to at my job, you need to at yours.

There's reputable companies on Kickstarter. Kammok is one of them. They have hammocks in stores like REI and still do Kickstarters. Kickstarter is not just for companies who need the funds. It's a way to have the consumer speak about how much interest they have in an idea. In this case, the consumer speaks with their wallet.

Underpromise and overdeliver depends on how much control the company has on the product. And even then, they could be way off based on consumer interest and the amount of orders they were not expecting.

When you have an idea and you have someone else make your idea, your timeline is their timeline. You have zero control of when something is going to get to the consumer no matter how yard you work. Contracts with the manufacturer mean nothing unless you williing to go into litigation with them over being late. And if you sue them they are definitely not manufacturing anything for you.

Tethrd is a reputable company under your definition here. They have contracted manufacturers and funds. Yet, they are still late. Why?

Back