• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I’m new and building a sit draw

Howdy,
Ive been hunting going on 18 years now but I’m just now starting to hunt out of a tree and decided that saddle hunting is the best thing for me. I just bought a sit draw on amazon tonight and I know there’s a lot more stuff I need and figured coming on here would give me the best information. If y’all don’t mind can you point me in the right direction of what I need? Please be specific with brands, lengths, dimensions and anything else I’m missing. Thanks guys and gals!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look on YouTube. G2outdoors has videos on sit drag modifications. Bowhunter15 on here is diysportsman on YouTube. He has a video on modifying a rock harness to have linesmans loops. It’s your choice on whether you want to use the sit drag loops or loops on a harness for your linesmans loops. You will want a tether with good carabiners and a linesmans rope with good carabiners as well. The ones that come with the sit drag are heavy junk. You need to pick a bridge material as well.

Don't forget the padding and an adjustable back brace if you hunt long sits. If you are just an evening sit guy then maybe it won't matter so much. I started with the DIY Sportsman setup at the beginning of last year and have since upgraded to my own version with more padding. I did sit for a total of 6 hours at one time in the DIY Sportsman set up but my hips and back were hurting at the end. Here is a pic of my new home made set up with extra padding. The extra foam doesn't really weight anything but it does hurt packability a bit. I attach it to the outside of my pack and I don't wear it when I am walking in so it doesn't matter to me. Still way smaller and lighter than any treestand. I used predator rope with a 32 inch bridge so I can sleep with my head on the rope without hitting the tether carabiner. I tied the bridge with a figure 8 knot and secured it with two 50 lb zipties. On my old sit drag I took a turkey seat with foam padding(one that is meant for sitting on the ground against a tree) and attached it to the sit drag for extra padding. You can add a back rest to the sit drag with an old military waist belt and some paracord. Use a prussik knot around the bridge rope with the paracord and it will slide up and down. You can see what I mean in the picture along with the spare tire I have been working on lately:)

Attachments

• .....JPG
    .....JPG
    479.8 KB · Views: 52
I have a kestrel a trophyline and a mantis on order. I don’t think I will make another sit drag. That said if I were to feel all diy-tastic and wanted to build one here is what I would do. Instead of just folding the loops and sewing them I would make continuous loops of 1/4 inch amsteel and fold the sit drag loops around them and sew. To me the weakest point on the sit drag is the but joint in the webbing right in the middle of the sling. I would make that the top of the saddle. Then take 1” webbing and sew from one end to the other about a third of the way down from the top of the webbing. Add as many molle loops as you would like I would just leave about a 2 inch solid spot at that but joint and sew solid without molle at least a few inches from each end. Leave your webbing a couple weeks niches past the end of the seat part on each side. Fold that extra on the ends over the amsteel continuous loops of amsteel and sew back on itself. Then wrap the saddle around you and see there your belt needs to be on the inside. Use one inch webbing for your belt. Sew it several inches on each side through your molle webbing then attach a cobra buckle. Then add 1/4 inch amsteel bridge. At this point if I was confident enough in my sewing to trust my life on it I would feel completely safe ditching the climbing harness. You could even add leg loops if you would like. For me that would be a sit drag done right. Most guys are adding molle webbing and a belt and sewing the loops. Why not go ahead and use climbing rated webbing to do it and add the amsteel loops at the connection point. It’s just a few more stitches and you end up with something that would keep you in the tree if the sit drag fell apart.
Then add the disclaimer that the sit drag was made for ground use only and any modification you do is at your own risk. Always wear a rock harness and a parachute just in case:cool:

Back