• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I feel like such a jerk!

rutjr

Work nights so by the time I get to sleep it's 2am. Last night I planned on going hunting in this little public land spot not far from where I live no matter what time I get up. I know where there's a tree stand in there and figured if there was a car parked there I would just stay far away from the stand. There was a car parked there so I skirted the swamp to stay away from the stand. By the time I was where I wanted to be it was 8:15 I started climbing got almost to where I wanted to be and I caught movement. I was only about 50 yards from the guy in the stand! I felt like such an ass! He climbed down and just left, never said a word. I had a camera in there so I pulled it and left myself I felt so bad.

You did nothing wrong, it happens to all of us.

I had a similar experience earlier this year. Walked way back in, found a good tree on an opening in some thick stuff. Climbed the tree, got set up and looked around. Lo and behold, big old lock on 60 yes away. Nobody there but it was still early. Just to be safe I rappelled down and relocated. I figure I'm more mobile than him.

Literally had the same thing happen last night...you did what any responsible and respectful person would... it just happens
Cheers!

I know how ya feel. Just did this last week to a guy. Still beating myself up for it. All we can do is just share each others pain! And I guess find some new spots too like Murph said.

Today, I was hunting from a tree about 30 yards in front of an empty ladder stand. Today muzzle loader season ended so he could have outgunned me if he showed up. I am using a crossbow. What is the proper distance to stay away?

You just did what almost everyone has done at one time or another on public land. No big deal, it happens.
Funny story, a buddy of my dad's was hunting in New York state one time, they were walking in to public land in the early morning light and mother nature was calling, or the chili the night before got the best of him. He hustled over to the fence line to relieve himself. When he was finishing up, and was pulling his suspenders up over his shoulder he glanced up and realized he just left a hot steamy mess right below a guy up in his treestand.

He felt like the pile he left on the ground, but it was too late by then. Made for a funny story though.
So I wouldn't feel too bad for climbing a tree near someone.

Been there, done that. I have had other hunters walk by me less than 20 yds from the tree I was hanging from, the second time the guy walked back out past me 20 minutes before dark, AND he stopped to take a leak 20 yds from me. I dont think they ever knew I was there. Next time I'll educate the young feller that he left during the best time of an afternoon hunt.

Back