• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I guess I'm in somebody's old spot

Wyatt_burp

Doubt they used the step that is a solid 30' up in a long time though.
a633c3c97da1641fa37c5cfc369e24c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

You'd be surprised how quick they grow into some trees if they're not maintained.

I hunted some public land last month. Picked out a tree based on scouting while I hiked. Found a big cedar freshly rubbed. Picked out a tree climbed to 20 and zero shooting lanes. Of course I changed packs to downsize for the hike and left my saw in the big bag .... I guess I wasn’t the first person to hunt this spot either! Trimmed up what I needed and out of back! Some Rusty gold
9d413f3003ec4aba9a02686a27440003.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Whenever this happens to me I can't decided if I am on the money with my spot selection or just another sheep doing the same ole thing the deer are expecting....
Its one of my money spots, just had to pick a different tree because wind. In this heatwave I had 6 doe and a spike walk within 30 yards. Im just waiting and wishing for pappy to come by.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Out scouting a parcel I’ve hunted many times and found this old stand. Might have belonged to ole Nimrod hisself it’s so grown in to the tree
F02BF585-F0FF-4311-B2BA-37CF91E78258.jpeg

How do we maintain trees preset with bolts or screw ins? Back them out a bit at the end of season? I've got several to tend to.
Screw in's you can just back out. Bolts I like to drill new holes. With bolts if you leave them in they may grow in to the point where you can't take them out by hand even if you just prep them in the spring or summer and try to take them out in the fall. I set up a socket head on my electric drill so I can remove them if they get like this. It's worked for bolts I left for almost 2 seasons.
I’d just leave them in if you’re gonna hunt there forever, they should be climbable for 20 or 30 years probably
On some trees you would be surprised how quickly they grow in. I have a couple trees that I didn't get to backing my screw ins out and they are fully grown in around the base and onto the step. It will probably just be a couple years before they're nubs I can't even climb anymore. That's maybe 10 years. I have other trees that are slower growing that over the same time I can still back them out if I need to.

I found some old 2x4s nailed to what looked like a random tree along the edge of a cornfield once. There was no low spot or any other terrain feature that would make you think it was a good spot but I continued on just inside of the woods and quickly found a well worn deer trail about 50 yards away. For some reason that spot just happened to be the spot where deer wanted to come into the woods.

Back