• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I guess I've gotta do it!

Jmilchuck3

So this past weekend I actually had a chance to sit in a saddle and get a feel for it. As a person who typically doesn't like heights, well more so don't like ladders. I was skeptical of the saddle though I was hoping that I would really like it. Not to mention hoping to get the nod of approval from my wife, as she was freaking out seeing how everyone just "hangs" from a tree.

Well...

It. Was. Awesome!

Though I was just at a test height at both the Tethrd and Aerohunter booths, I can't wait to place the order and get one to start raining down arrows from above!!!

I just felt like I needed to make this post and explain my excitement!!!

Welcome from MA. Of course it was awesome. You didn't think we were all lunatics did you? Oh wait, we are all lunatics, but it's still awesome. I feel we had a very similar response to our first experience in the saddle. I remember thinkin, man am I going to do some damage with this thing. It did not disappoint. I killed two bucks and filled my doe tag as well. Tell your wife that there is no safer way to hunt out of the tree, and if shes concerned with your safety at all then you better get one of these "safety saddles". Good luck, and be safe.

Welcome from MA. Of course it was awesome. You didn't think we were all lunatics did you? Oh wait, we are all lunatics, but it's still awesome. I feel we had a very similar response to our first experience in the saddle. I remember thinkin, man am I going to do some damage with this thing. It did not disappoint. I killed two bucks and filled my doe tag as well. Tell your wife that there is no safer way to hunt out of the tree, and if shes concerned with your safety at all then you better get one of these "safety saddles". Good luck, and be safe.
Once she saw me in the saddle and saw the demo of the guys hanging upside down and things she seemed to relax a good bit and said "oh I get it now" So I think thats a good thing!!!

As a person who typically doesn't like heights, well more so don't like ladders. I was skeptical of the saddle though I was hoping that I would really like it.
You'll be amazed at how comfortable you get at height after hanging in a saddle for a bit. Throw a SRT system in the mix, and you'll be ready to rappel from your chimney the next time you need to clean the gutters!

Welcome. I will say that I don't have much of a fear of heights but never was very comfortable in a hang on stand or a climber. A saddle changed all that a long time ago. Always better to concentrate on the hunt rather than weather or not your gonna fall.

Having only spent a couple hours at hunting height and not being afraid of heights what so ever all I have to say is that it might freak you out a bit at first. It did for me but if you stay focused on what you're doing you just work thru it. And if you dont like it just go up one step at a time as you get more comfortable. I was shocked that I got a little nervous at about 18 feet. But the next time I went up I was totally fine.

Having only spent a couple hours at hunting height and not being afraid of heights what so ever all I have to say is that it might freak you out a bit at first. It did for me but if you stay focused on what you're doing you just work thru it. And if you dont like it just go up one step at a time as you get more comfortable. I was shocked that I got a little nervous at about 18 feet. But the next time I went up I was totally fine.
Whats crazy is heights don't scare me as much as ladders do.

I have this weird way of thinking. A ladder can twist, bend, give out, or whatever. But if I'm at the peak of a roof, or on the edge of a cliff I'm fine. I think its the fear of falling from an unstable platform and getting hurt, vs falling from height and dying... apparently id rather die than be hurt haha

I'm leaning toward Tethrd. Simply because I spoke with them and Aerohunter this past weekend. When I asked the lead tine I was told 8-10 weeks by aero and 5-6 weeks with tethrd. I sat in them both and I felt like the flex could be really nice but I liked how the mantis felt while walking vs. Flex.

its an addiction for sure!

By the way, I use to hunt around Barneveld alot! love that country out there. and the Grumpy Toll!

Whats crazy is heights don't scare me as much as ladders do.

I have this weird way of thinking. A ladder can twist, bend, give out, or whatever. But if I'm at the peak of a roof, or on the edge of a cliff I'm fine. I think its the fear of falling from an unstable platform and getting hurt, vs falling from height and dying... apparently id rather die than be hurt haha

I agree. I can sleep in a tree, I pay someone to come clean my gutters cause that ladder is a big NO from me.

Back