• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I love hunting turkeys. I really dont love eating wild turkey...Please help!

Jeremy_D

I kill it Im going to eat it or at least do my best, I made a breast recipe tonight that is edible but Im still looking for something GUD!! Any good wild turkey recipes?

I kill it Im going to eat it or at least do my best, I made a breast recipe tonight that is edible but Im still looking for something GUD!! Any good wild turkey recipes?
Um what? Wild Turkey is amazing. I’ve only killed one so I don’t have a bunch of recipes but this is what I did. Slow cook the dark meat until tender and then brown in bacon grease for tacos. Brine the breast and smoke on a charcoal grill. If you want something fancier than that hit up @Bama_Xander he’s a awesome wild game chef.

Wild Turkey 101:

As for the bird...It's pretty good deep fried. A brine seems the best way to steer a flavor profile, no matter the cook.

Um what? Wild Turkey is amazing. I’ve only killed one so I don’t have a bunch of recipes but this is what I did. Slow cook the dark meat until tender and then brown in bacon grease for tacos. Brine the breast and smoke on a charcoal grill. If you want something fancier than that hit up @Bama_Xander he’s a awesome wild game chef.
...YESSSS!!!... slow cooker dark meat tacos is where it's at...also... there are TONS of bones in the legs and this will make them easy to remove.... for the breast meat... check out Steve Rinella's schnitzel recipe... nothing fancy about it but MAN it's good

...YESSSS!!!... slow cooker dark meat tacos is where it's at...also... there are TONS of bones in the legs and this will make them easy to remove.... for the breast meat... check out Steve Rinella's schnitzel recipe... nothing fancy about it but MAN it's good
The leftovers make dang good turkey salad sandwiches.

Turkey nuggets

Cut breast meat into 1" cubes, put in bowl with generous amount of buttermilk ranch and a small jar of sliced pickled jalapenos. Marinade 8-24hrs

Bread in flour (doesn't need to be seasoned) and fry till golden, IMMEDIATELY after pulling them out of the oil and onto the drain rack dust with webers steak and chop seasoning. Do the same with the jalapenos. (You can also toss in your favorite hot wing sauce if you like that too. Both are equally as good)

Soak the breast overnight in buttermilk than just remove from buttermilk strait to the flour than to the frying pan. I've never tasted anything better.

I am with you ...... not a fan of most of the wild turkey dishes I have tried. The best I can remember was the breast meat cut into thin strips, battered and deep-fried. Those were pretty good with ranch dipping sauce. Now I take my wild turkey in a shot glass and fish more steelhead.

Breast them out and save those legs. Square and cube (in larger 2" by 2" chunks and then Marinade or Soak them in Italian dressing or we have locally here a marinade called Chiavetta's that has a vinegar base that is excellent. If I'm using the italian dressing, I add a combo garlic -pepper to the mix. Chiavetta's needs nothing. I like to marinade them for a few hours before grilling. Grill on a medium flame. Serve with a salad or whatever. To me, and my family the breasts done this way taste just like chicken.

Slow cooker the legs and slice the meat up for fajitas. I throw a stick a butter in with them as they are super lean..... much like a venison roast. Fry your green/red peppers and onions and a few diced jalapenos in with some olive oil and your favorite seasoning. once grilled add your slow cooked turkey meat to warm it enough to serve. Soft shells, sour creme, avocado and whatever sauce you like. Delicious. A little fresh lime makes a nice offset flavor. Just warm the legs if they've been in the fridge or whatever.

I LOVE wild turkey....

Some may find it dry because there is so much less fat and exta liquid in their body, especially if you are used to eating "conventionally" grown birds.

My suggestions:

1) Deep fry. Everyone loves a deep fried turkey
2) If you want to roast it, Brine it. Ones with orange peels, thyme, salt, and other citris are generally spectacular. Also, add a little chicken stock or your choice of bullion(I like "better than buillion" roasted vegetable) to the roasting pan from the start. Baste every 20 Minutes or so. Depending on the trueky size you can also experiment with cooking it breast up/down.

Smaller slices of meat for cooking. The older bigger birds are extra gamey no matter what you do.

I always fire up the smoker and make jerky with Hi Mountain apple blend seasoning

A quick and easy way is McCormicks white chili mix. I make up a big batch and freeze it in smaller portions for easy lunches and meals.

Back