• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I may have a future problem...

Oldnotdead

Deer bedding. Our land is on a north/west facing steep slope. This being in the middle of the hill. The wind blows mostly w/n/w and s/e. My only access is on the n/e. It's nearly impossible to not get winded. Besides the fact they bed right at the end of our drive. Which I have to walk down to get to the property..lol
Today I felt good enough for a short walk while we still have snow. They are now bedding all along the only "safe" trail I had to get to some key morning stands. Then I carefully checked entry exit trails. What the hay! They're entering and exiting EVERYWHERE. I'm really hoping this is just a winter thing, because of several scattered down falls and the very heavy winds.
Good news is I found two awesome diagonal buck trails across the steepest part of hill. I have a few trees that will be perfect there for a saddle sit and they go right to an older bedding area. I know I have some big doe here but there are at least a few crazy big tracks in the groups and single tracks.
Last year was a lets say slow year,but no corn in farm fields next to us. Though standing soy beans, acres of food plot standing corn ,and acres of cover crop radish,oats, just 1/2 to 1 mile away. Ag country really dictates fall hunting. If the grains are left standing it's difficult to draw the does in. Guys with large standing corn and beans are the ones leasing their fields to the farmers. Lately best laid plans have been cut off at the knees, that said, it keeps things exciting.

So no one else has property thats difficult to enter undetected? I cant even walk down the drive then walk the road...they bed in the flower garden and along the culvert ditches. Its actually comical.
I've developed all sorts of ways to settle them down to get them to Stay or not go far.

Back