• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

I messed up and I need advice

Tknapp

Monday i got set up on the thick edge of a swamp in between bedding and a bean field. I had a nice 8 chasing a doe that I was able to stop at 27 yards and hit very high (meat above the spine (the real "no man's land")). only had blood for about 50 yards. then kicked him out of a bed at 150. I think there is bigger buck in the area. We have a cold front coming in Thursday and I took the day off. I know this is a good spot to kill a mature buck but is it too early to go back to hunt it for an all day sit?

As long as the wind is right, I'd get back in there.... if you're on public ( not sure that you are) you've kinda gotta know that's its always possible someone was just there anyway... you hopefully only blew one deer out....

I'd try it again but I'm a rookie. I had a little fork come chase all the does out of a spot a week and a half ago. He ended coming in and I, unfortunately, put a bad shot on him. Got Down fumbled around in the area looking for any sign. Came back the next day and setup in the same tree, had does again at about the same time.

Good luck!

As long as the wind is right, I'd get back in there.... if you're on public ( not sure that you are) you've kinda gotta know that's its always possible someone was just there anyway... you hopefully only blew one deer out....
It is public, but I have never seen another hunter there. it's very hard to get to and not obvious if you dont know what you are looking for. It's kind of island in the middle of the swamp and only small areas that have shooting lanes. I have about 7-8 good buck on camera from summer one is probably a 120-130" 8 point.

^^^^ get back in there!! If it'll help boost confidence practice a little and then get back after them! Sounds like a sweet spot, take advantage while you can

Monday i got set up on the thick edge of a swamp in between bedding and a bean field. I had a nice 8 chasing a doe that I was able to stop at 27 yards and hit very high (meat above the spine (the real "no man's land")). only had blood for about 50 yards. then kicked him out of a bed at 150. I think there is bigger buck in the area. We have a cold front coming in Thursday and I took the day off. I know this is a good spot to kill a mature buck but is it too early to go back to hunt it for an all day sit?

If there's a hot doe in there, every buck in the surrounding area will be on her.

If anybody out there is a relatively new hunter, man I’m telling you do what you can not to shoot past about 20 yards… or said another way, DONT shoot past 20 yards. I know I sound like a self righteous buzz kill, but I added another data point this year with a fruitless track job for a buddy, his sons third 30 yard + attempt and fail at a bow kill. They go to the range and think his groups translate to the woods and they do not. Get close, take some deep breaths to calm down, aim for a hair, let the pin settle, surprise release… if this sequence is followed at close range, the odds are much more in your favor.

Back